Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
swampy swampy is offline

Default Reduntant question

I hate to ask this question again, but if you will please....tell me what
setting in Word XP Tools Options that I need to uncheck to keep Word from
asking me if I want to save everything as I click out even if no changes
have been made to save.

Thank you, anyone!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 17:07:13 -0500, "swampy"
wrote:

I hate to ask this question again, but if you will please....tell me what
setting in Word XP Tools Options that I need to uncheck to keep Word from
asking me if I want to save everything as I click out even if no changes
have been made to save.

Thank you, anyone!

Although there is an option "Prompt to save Normal template" in the Tools
Options Save tab, that probably isn't what's causing the problem. More likely
it's an add-in. See
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...514521033.aspx for
instructions.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
swampy swampy is offline

Jay, I didn't see any add-ins. I just re-install MS Office xp from the
install disk. It's new. It wants to save everything, even if nothing is
touched.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Re-installing other than on a reformatted disc will retain all the previous
user settings including add-ins. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...sInstalled.htm

swampy wrote:
Jay, I didn't see any add-ins. I just re-install MS Office xp from
the install disk. It's new. It wants to save everything, even if
nothing is touched.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
swampy[_2_] swampy[_2_] is offline

Thank you Jay and Graham. It was a clean wipe reformat. I started clean. Of
course I also use a USB Flash stick for backup. Could that have transferred
an add-into Word somehow?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Do the following diagnostic test. Start Word in Safe Mode and then close it.
From Start, Run (Winkey+R) type in

winword /a

and press enter. Word should open to a new blank document in Safe Mode:
don't do anything other than close Word. Does it prompt you to save changes
now?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"swampy" wrote in message
Thank you Jay and Graham. It was a clean wipe reformat. I started clean.
Of course I also use a USB Flash stick for backup. Could that have
transferred an add-into Word somehow?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
swampy[_2_] swampy[_2_] is offline

Thank you, Terry! Worked like a charm. No more "would you like to save" or
whatever when I touched nothing.

Best regards (from Tampa, Florida)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Yes, but this was a diagnostic test, you cannot continue using the /a
switch. It opens Word in Safe Mode which is its virgin install mode
bypassing all add-ins, customisations, macros, printer drivers or anything
else that may have been perpetrated since it was installed.

You need to find the culprit that is causing the problem. See how to find
add-ins at

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...sInstalled.htm

Terry

TOC question Osiris Page Layout 1 November 21st 06 01:05 PM
TOC question GY2 New Users 5 July 31st 06 03:50 PM
Question Skyler Terry New Users 2 September 29th 05 05:29 AM
question donna Microsoft Word Help 1 August 23rd 05 05:31 PM
Question Tarazaan Microsoft Word Help 1 January 26th 05 10:48 PM