Word Labels, No Paragraph Break if Field is Empty

Old May 21st 18, 06:49 PM
Jarrett Jarrett is offline

Question Word Labels, No Paragraph Break if Field is Empty

I have been trying to create some labels and some of my fields are empty.

The fields that may be empty a Address_2 ; Address_3 ; Address_4 and County

This is what my default MailMerge looks like at the moment:

«Company»
«Address_1»
«Address_2»
«Address_3»
«Address_4»
«County»
«Country»

PROBLEM:
If any of the fields are empty, they will leave a space underneath.

Is there any way, maybe with IF conditions or any easier way, to tell Word to Skip to the Next Field if that one is empty?

I've been looking on the internet for some time and I have not been able to find a solution, any help would be much appreciated!
Old May 21st 18, 08:43 PM
Jarrett Jarrett is offline

So considering that I am on a Mac and those commands as far as I know do not work here, but I will try tomorrow from a Windows, to achieve the following without paragraph breaks if the field is empty:

Company
Address_1
Address_2
Address_3
Town Post Code
County
Country

Is the following correct?

{ Mergefield Company }¶
{ Mergefield Address_1 }{If { Mergefield Address_2 } "" " ¶
{ Mergefield Address_2 }"}{If { Mergefield Address_3 } "" " ¶
{ Mergefield Address_3 }"}¶
{ Town } { Post Code }¶
{If { County } "" " ¶
{ Mergefield County }"}¶
{Country}

Please note that ¶ is where I pressed Enter or Shift + Enter.
Old May 23rd 18, 11:06 PM
Jarrett Jarrett is offline

Smile

I managed to do it eventually!

I realised that it is of paramount importance to press Enter and not Shift+Enter to start a new line (¶), otherwise Word will always leave a gap between the two lines, even if your formula is correct.

So this is the formula:

{ MERGEFIELD Company }¶
{ MERGEFIELD Address_1 }{If { MERGEFIELD Address_1 } = "" "" " " }¶
{ MERGEFIELD Address_2 }{If { MERGEFIELD Address_2 } = "" "" " " }¶
{ MERGEFIELD Address_3 }{If { MERGEFIELD Address_3 } = "" "" " " }¶
{ MERGEFIELD Address_4 }{If { MERGEFIELD Address_4 } = "" "" " " }¶
{ MERGEFIELD Post Code } { MERGEFIELD Town }¶
{ MERGEFIELD County }{If { MERGEFIELD County } = "" "" " " }¶
{ MERGEFIELD County }¶

I found the right formula by reading this very useful guide:

https://wordmvp.com/FAQs/MailMerge/MMergeIfFields.htm