Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KTJ

Default Collecting Highlights

In older versions of Word, I was able to collect text that I highlighted
using the highlighting button into another document. I can't see how to do
that in Word 2003. Was that function removed? If not, how do I do it?
Karen
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Do you mean text to which you applied a coloured background, or text that
you selected?

I don't think any version of Word has had a way of copying and pasting the
former, with Word 2003, you can definitely select non contiguous sections of
text (using the Ctrl button) and copy and paste them into another document.
They will be pasted into that document in the order (timewise) that they
were selected, which may not be the order in which they appear in the
original document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"KTJ" wrote in message
In older versions of Word, I was able to collect text that I highlighted
using the highlighting button into another document. I can't see how to
do
that in Word 2003. Was that function removed? If not, how do I do it?
Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KTJ

Doug,
In previous versions of Word, I was able to use the colored highlighting
tools to highlight sections of text. Then, I was able to "Collect
Highlights" under the Edit Toolbar and the highlighted text would
automatically be opened in a new document with the colored highlighting. It
was a very cool feature that I taught to students to help them as a study
tool. (There are expensive assistive technology software programs that do
this so it was great that I could do it right in Word.)
I haven't been able to find how to do this in the Word 2003.
Thanks. Does this help you better understand my question?

"KTJ" wrote in message
In older versions of Word, I was able to collect text that I highlighted
using the highlighting button into another document. I can't see how to
do
that in Word 2003. Was that function removed? If not, how do I do it?
Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If this was available on the Edit menu or if you actually had an Edit
toolbar (there is not one by default), then this functionality was
undoubtedly provided by an add-in of some sort. But you should be able to
accomplish the same thing this way:

1. In the Find (not Replace) dialog, expand the dialog by clicking More.

2. Check the box for "Highlight all items found in" and choose the
appropriate context.

3. Click the Format button and choose Highlight.

4. Leaving the "Find what" box empty, click Find All.

5. Click back in the document window to return the focus to that window; how
you do this is critical: if you click outside the text, the selected items
will be unselected; if you click in one of them, they'll probably stay
selected (this may require some trial and error).

6. Press Ctrl+C to copy all the selected text.

7. Press Ctrl+V to paste it into another document.

news

"KTJ" wrote in message
In older versions of Word, I was able to collect text that I

highlighted
using the highlighting button into another document. I can't see how

do
that in Word 2003. Was that function removed? If not, how do I do it?
Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KTJ

Suzanne,
Thanks for the suggestion. But there are too many steps. I wish I could
remember how I did it as I have examples of the document that was created
iand proof of "Collect Highlights" appearing under the Edit menu n a
Powerpoint presentation that I give to teachers. I created in back in 2002.
I guess I need to find an add-in.
Karen