Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Ann Ann is offline

Default Cell/column width changes automatically as I type

How do I stop the cell/column from increasing as I insert text? It is almost
like there is a hugh right margin set (currently set at .08). If I deselect
the "change to autofit," then the cell will only allow one letter per line.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Ann,

On the Table tab, uncheck the 'Automatically resize to fit contents' button (under Options)

On the Column tab, set the 'preferred width' dimensions for each column.

After making the above changes, you may also need to uncheck the 'preferred width' button on the Table tab to allow the overall
table width to match your preferred column widths; otherwise the columns widths will be scaled up/down to match the dimensions
specified here.

If you want to stop rows from expanding, you'll also need to set the required row height for each row (on the Row Tab).

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Ann" wrote in message ...
How do I stop the cell/column from increasing as I insert text? It is almost
like there is a hugh right margin set (currently set at .08). If I deselect
the "change to autofit," then the cell will only allow one letter per line.

How do I move from cell to cell iin a table column in Word 2003? MOSwannabe Tables 4 January 26th 06 10:17 PM
cell marker missing - can not type text into cell Mary Smith 360 Tables 1 December 20th 05 05:04 AM
column width versus cell width 2dogs Tables 12 October 12th 05 01:54 AM
Table Cell width JC-N-Texas Tables 2 September 20th 05 01:55 PM
setting cell width Hilary Microsoft Word Help 1 February 15th 05 09:31 AM