PamWilhite

Default formatting percent field using mail merge

I have data in an excel table such as .88 (field named Pct) which I want
displayed in mailmerge as 88%. I found an article on the web which said to
do the following:

{={MERGEFIELD Pct}*100\#"0%"}

This is giving me a syntax error. Can you help?

Graham Mayor

Did you insert the field boundaries with CTRL+F9? Update the field after
making the changes F9
See http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm

PamWilhite wrote:
I have data in an excel table such as .88 (field named Pct) which I
want displayed in mailmerge as 88%. I found an article on the web
which said to do the following:

{={MERGEFIELD Pct}*100\#"0%"}

This is giving me a syntax error. Can you help?

PamWilhite

Yes I tried using CTRL+F9 but I'm not clear about how to do it. I have read
your tutorial and understand what's needed but I don't know how to make it
work! Some attempts are just ignored when I do ALT+F9, some show syntax
error when I do ALT+F9. Can you clarify the steps of how to use CTRL+F9?
Help...

PamWilhite wrote:
I have data in an excel table such as .88 (field named Pct) which I
want displayed in mailmerge as 88%. I found an article on the web
which said to do the following:

{={MERGEFIELD Pct}*100\#"0%"}

This is giving me a syntax error. Can you help?

Graham Mayor

CTRL+F9 inserts the field boundaries {}

The resulting field you are trying to achieve is

{={MERGEFIELD Pct} * 100 \# "0%"}

so type CTRL+F9 then inside the brackets type = then CTRL+F9 again
Inside the second set type MERGEFIELD Pct .
Move the cursor beyond the field and within the outer brackets type the rest
as shown (including the spacing).
Then ALT+F9 will toggle the display.