Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Novice aged 60 Novice aged 60 is offline

Default Reinstalling data using floppy disc. I want to reinstall data from

I transferred data from my computer, onto floppy discs and this process was
very easy. I marked each of the discs 'Recovery Discs' and gave each a
number. Now I want to reinstall that data back onto my computer but it reads
the discs and doesn't process the information. Why? I really need to get
this information back onto my computer and it won't tranfer the information.
I have Windows XP Professional installed. I am still a novice at computers,
please help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

What do you mean by DATA? If you mean just documents, then copy them to
Documents folder on your hard drive using Windows Explorer.

If you mean that you copied the whole of the Word application to floppies,
then you have wasted hours of time. You cannot copy applications across to
another computer like that. Windows just won't be aware of it as an
application. You will need to find the original installation disks and let
Windows install it.

BTW, floppy technology is 37 years old (introduced in 1971) and is
notoriously unreliable: I recommend forgetting about floppies once you have
copied all your personal files across. Use DVDR or CDR for backing up.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Novice aged 60" Novice aged wrote in message
I transferred data from my computer, onto floppy discs and this process was
very easy. I marked each of the discs 'Recovery Discs' and gave each a
number. Now I want to reinstall that data back onto my computer but it
reads
the discs and doesn't process the information. Why? I really need to get
this information back onto my computer and it won't tranfer the
information.
I have Windows XP Professional installed. I am still a novice at
computers,
please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

I just bought a box of 100 floppies for work. ;-)

(We use test equipment that doesn't have optical drives or USB ports. Plus
my boss has a Mavica camera that uses floppies. I'm tired of digging around
trying to find a spare floppy and then making sure it's clear.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

No USB or optical drive: that ages it! I wouldn't be surprised if
manufacturers soon announce that they are going to cease production of both
the 3½" disks and the drives.

Terry

"JoAnn Paules" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Some of this equipment probably still use serial ports. These tools are not
cheap so they aren't replaced until they no longer function. That's common
in the manufacturing field.

Until they do, I have 99 disks. (The boss needed one for his camera this
week.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

I ordered them from Office Max. That's how we get office supplies at work. I
would gladly have accepted free ones. I'd have kept a few for myself here at
home. (Two of our computers still have floppy drives.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"E. Barry Bruyea" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:56:06 -0500, "JoAnn Paules"
wrote:

I just bought a box of 100 floppies for work. ;-)

You actually *paid* for them? A year ago, several stores in my area
were giving the damn things away!

(We use test equipment that doesn't have optical drives or USB ports. Plus
my boss has a Mavica camera that uses floppies. I'm tired of digging
around
trying to find a spare floppy and then making sure it's clear.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

I bet there's dust on them g

Terry

"E. Barry Bruyea" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 17:38:12 -0500, "JoAnn Paules"
wrote:

I ordered them from Office Max. That's how we get office supplies at work.
would gladly have accepted free ones. I'd have kept a few for myself here
at
home. (Two of our computers still have floppy drives.)

I have in my 'closet' 8", 5¼" & 3½" Floppies that I haven't a clue
what's on them given I have no floppy drives in my computer. Kind of
nostalgic, actually.