Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Frank Martin Frank Martin is offline

Default Loss of A4 page size.

I have always set the page size to A4 but suddenly I cannot
get this even though I have reloaded several times.

Please help,
Frank

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Frank Martin Frank Martin is offline

I have Word2003

Yes it does, and all been working for a long time. Word
said I should try the settings in "safe mode" which made no
difference but it trashed all my special icons at the top of
the page.

I cannot get any change in the "Normal" template which is
located in:
"C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dot".

When I open this folder there is always an extra blurred-out
"~$Normal" file, even when Word is not running.

When I open the "Normal" it produces a page and I can adjust
settings such as fonts etc, but the changes cannot be saved
and Word always reverts back to the old settings. Is this
a pathological condition?

I have tried restarting the computer but to no avail.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Does the active printer support A4?

http://word.mvps.org

"Frank Martin" wrote in message
I have always set the page size to A4 but suddenly I
cannot get this even though I have reloaded several times.

Please help,
Frank

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
No Name

Delete the temp ~$normal file as it is an abandoned locking file from
sometime when your system crashed whilst Word was open.

Also, with all applications closed, go to the User temp folder and delete
everything in it as it too should be empty.

Then make sure that you have the latest printer driver from the
manufacturer's support site and delete and reinstall the printer making sure
to set it as the Windows default printer.

Now test again for A4 pages.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Frank Martin Frank Martin is offline

Thanks, I got it working by reinstalling the printer
software.

But I stall have trouble changing the properties of the
Normal.dot template. When I open Word2003 via Normal.dot
and then change what I want, the changes do not stick. What
is the correct way to change the details in Normal.dot?
Regards, Frank

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

What properties are you trying to change? Normal.dot does not store all
changes, some are stored in the registry. However, it is not usually
necessary to open normal.dot itself.

If you are changing the default font or paper sizes, you go to Format |
Font, select the font and parameters required and then press the DEFAULT
button at the bottom of the dialog. When you close Word, you will be
prompted to Save changes to the Global template (but make sure that under
Tools | Options | Save tab that the Prompt to save changes to normal is
checked). This is similar for changing paragraph defaults (for normal style)
or page settings.

Terry