Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MikeM

Default Autotext insert into footers no longer works in Word 2003

I have previously inserted the file name & path in Word 2003 documents but it
no longer works. When inserting it comes up with " FILENAME \p " I tried to
detect & repair but that has not helped. The next step is to completely
reinstall Word 2003 but I would only do that as a last resort as I don't like
MS policy on activation codes even though I have legitimate MS Office
software.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MikeM

Thanks for the response, this is the first time I have resorted to a
discussion group. I have tried inserting it into several other documents that
already had that field and also including new Word documents with all being
..doc. I even tried it in Excel and it works fine but not in Word. PS I liked
your article on Normal.dot

"MikeM" wrote in message
I have previously inserted the file name & path in Word 2003 documents but

it
no longer works. When inserting it comes up with " FILENAME \p " I tried

detect & repair but that has not helped. The next step is to completely
reinstall Word 2003 but I would only do that as a last resort as I don't

like
MS policy on activation codes even though I have legitimate MS Office
software.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

The point of the article is you probably need to regenerate your normal.dot.
It is the default container for AutoText including all the things that
normally go into a header or footer.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Reinstalling will not help. You have most likely saved a document as
Normal.dot. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm

so
all may benefit.

"MikeM" wrote in message
I have previously inserted the file name & path in Word 2003 documents
but

it
no longer works. When inserting it comes up with " FILENAME \p " I
tried

detect & repair but that has not helped. The next step is to completely
reinstall Word 2003 but I would only do that as a last resort as I
don't

like
MS policy on activation codes even though I have legitimate MS Office
software.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Unless I have completely misread what you are saying - it appears that you
have the field view toggled. If you are seeing {Filename \p} press ALT+F9

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Reinstalling will not help. You have most likely saved a document as
Normal.dot. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm

newsgroup so all may benefit.