Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Horne Dave Horne is offline

Default Viewer - question\possible suggestion

First, I am not a 'new user' to Word but this seemed like the best forum in
which to post (from the list given to me through my newsgroup reader).

It would be great if I could hover the mouse cursor over the document in
question and see a small version or just the first few lines of the
document. As it now stands, I see just basic info re the document if I
hover the mouse over the file - Type, Size, Date, Pages.

Does this possibility exist? I can not imagine I am the first to suggest
this. Just passing this on. Thanks, DH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Dave,

It exists if you go to the trouble to set the first view lines of the
document in the Document Property "Comments" field before you save it.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Dave Horne wrote:
First, I am not a 'new user' to Word but this seemed like the best
forum in which to post (from the list given to me through my
newsgroup reader).
It would be great if I could hover the mouse cursor over the document
in question and see a small version or just the first few lines of the
document. As it now stands, I see just basic info re the document if
I hover the mouse over the file - Type, Size, Date, Pages.

Does this possibility exist? I can not imagine I am the first to
suggest this. Just passing this on. Thanks, DH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Horne Dave Horne is offline

Greg, thanks for that tip! I tried it and it works though not as well as I
would have liked - I still have to do all the extra work myself.

Thanks again, all the best, DH

Dave Horne wrote:
First, I am not a 'new user' to Word but this seemed like the best
forum in which to post (from the list given to me through my
newsgroup reader).
It would be great if I could hover the mouse cursor over the document
in question and see a small version or just the first few lines of the
document. As it now stands, I see just basic info re the document if
I hover the mouse over the file - Type, Size, Date, Pages.

Does this possibility exist? I can not imagine I am the first to
suggest this. Just passing this on. Thanks, DH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

Dave

As Suzanne hints at: this is a function in Vista. You can even see a preview
in Windows Explorer, Preview Pane by hovering over a document.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

Dave Horne wrote:
First, I am not a 'new user' to Word but this seemed like the best
forum in which to post (from the list given to me through my
newsgroup reader).
It would be great if I could hover the mouse cursor over the document
in question and see a small version or just the first few lines of the
document. As it now stands, I see just basic info re the document if
I hover the mouse over the file - Type, Size, Date, Pages.

Does this possibility exist? I can not imagine I am the first to
suggest this. Just passing this on. Thanks, DH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Horne Dave Horne is offline

Terry, I _am_ using Vista Home Premium and when I hover the mouse cursor
over a Word document, (*.doc or *.docx, Office 2007) I do see a smallish box
but only with the following information -

Type - Microsoft Office Word Document
Authors - Dave Horne
Size 14.4 KB
Date Modified - 12/27/2007 5:52PM
..... not a snapshot of the actual document.

Should I be able to see more without having to input information after the
fact in Comments? Thanks, DH

Dave Horne wrote:
First, I am not a 'new user' to Word but this seemed like the best
forum in which to post (from the list given to me through my
newsgroup reader).
It would be great if I could hover the mouse cursor over the document
in question and see a small version or just the first few lines of the
document. As it now stands, I see just basic info re the document if
I hover the mouse over the file - Type, Size, Date, Pages.

Does this possibility exist? I can not imagine I am the first to
suggest this. Just passing this on. Thanks, DH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Horne Dave Horne is offline

I do see the option for Thumbnails in Word but that only works in a document
that is already opened, correct?

Dave Horne wrote:
First, I am not a 'new user' to Word but this seemed like the best
forum in which to post (from the list given to me through my
newsgroup reader).
It would be great if I could hover the mouse cursor over the document
in question and see a small version or just the first few lines of the
document. As it now stands, I see just basic info re the document if
I hover the mouse over the file - Type, Size, Date, Pages.

Does this possibility exist? I can not imagine I am the first to
suggest this. Just passing this on. Thanks, DH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

Open Windows Explorer (Winkey+E) at the folder (Documents?) and from the
ORGANIZE menu, select Layout, Preview Pane. When you hover over a document,
it will appear in the Preview Pane. It should work for Office, Adobe PDF and
other apps that have included the new feature for Vista.

Terry

Dave Horne wrote:
First, I am not a 'new user' to Word but this seemed like the best
forum in which to post (from the list given to me through my
newsgroup reader).
It would be great if I could hover the mouse cursor over the document
in question and see a small version or just the first few lines of the
document. As it now stands, I see just basic info re the document if
I hover the mouse over the file - Type, Size, Date, Pages.

Does this possibility exist? I can not imagine I am the first to
suggest this. Just passing this on. Thanks, DH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Horne Dave Horne is offline

Terry,

I've been using Vista since Feb and that was the first time I came across
that menu. Thanks!

This is certainly an improvement. Not to sound ungrateful, I still would
like to have a preview pane or a pop up that would show a smaller version of
the original doc much like jpg files.

Thank you! This new feature will make my job easier since I work with many
documents that look the same but have slight differences.

Have a great New Year! DH

news

Dave Horne wrote:
First, I am not a 'new user' to Word but this seemed like the best
forum in which to post (from the list given to me through my
newsgroup reader).
It would be great if I could hover the mouse cursor over the document
in question and see a small version or just the first few lines of
the
document. As it now stands, I see just basic info re the document if
I hover the mouse over the file - Type, Size, Date, Pages.

Does this possibility exist? I can not imagine I am the first to
suggest this. Just passing this on. Thanks, DH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

That is available for open documents by hovering the pointer over the
document in the Taskbar - though IMHO it is a bit too small to be much good.

The Preview should work in the File Open dialog too as in Vista, Office is
using the standard Explorer interface for Open and Save dialogs. However, it
hasn't been fully implemented in the current version but hopefully it will
work in a future upgrade.

Terry