Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
creekmdm

Default Excel Records are selected but ALL blank records are merged

I am a novice, at best, with Mailmerge and Excel, and have run into a problem
that is driving me crazy. I am trying to create envelopes using data from an
Excel spreadsheet. I have 60 or so names and addresses in the spreadsheet,
but the spreadsheet itself still shows about 65,000 rows. In Mailmerge, when
I'm prompted to select recipients, I uncheck all (because all 65,000 some odd
entries are selected, regardless of whether or not there is any data in the
fields) and then select the 60 or so with data that I want to merge. When I
go merge, though, it merges all 65,000 rows from the Excel spreadsheet, so
I'm left with the 60 perfectly merged envelopes I want plus 64,940 blank
envelopes. What am I doing wrong? Please help!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Have you tried:
a. Excel Edit|Goto|Special|Last Cell to see where Excel thinks the last
cell in the sheet is?
b. Selecting the entire apparently blank area below your data (from column
A to IV) and using Edit|Clear|All ? (I expect there's an easier way to do
this but I'm only a casual Excel user). Then try reconnecting from Word to
the sheet.

Peter Jamieson
"creekmdm" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
creekmdm

Thanks for the suggestion. It didn't quite work though. It showed the
65,334th cell as the last one, but I couldn't find any text in there and,
even after clearing everything, it still showed the 65,334th as the last
cell. I just gave up and copied my relevant data into a whole new spread
sheet and its all working fine now!