Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dani

Default how do i create a new list on mail merge

I want to create a mail merge new list, when click on ok a message on screen,
says I cannot create list and need to create a temp directory folder on c:
drive which I did, but same messege keeps coming.
and when I try to use the existing list options it gives me two data sources
which are connect to new data source and new sql server connection, I don't
know which one is correct. please help
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

and when I try to use the existing list options it gives me two data
sources
which are connect to new data source and new sql server connection, I
don't
know which one is correct. please help

These "options" are just files in the My Data Sources folder that are there
to help you connect to certain types of data source such as SQL Server. When
you're in that dialog box ("Select Data Source") you can navigate to another
folder on your system just as you can in Windows Explorer, and select an
existing data source. When you are creatin a standard new data source, you
should not need to use the two options in My Data Sources.

Althouh you may have set up a folder called c:\temp, that may not be enough.
What Word is probably looking for is a thing called an environment variable
called TEMP that points to a folder that can hold temporary files. Makin
sure that is set up properly probably depends on which version of Windows
you have, but e.g. in Windows XP you should be able to o into Start,
right-click on My Computer, select Properties|Advanced|Environment
Variables. In the two boxes there should be a variable named TEMP. If not,
try creating it and setting the value of the variable to be the pathname of
the temp folder you created.

However, it may be that you are already working on a network and your temp
folder is already set up to be somewhere on a network server. In that case,
the chances are that your workstation does not have the permissions it needs
to use the temp folder and you'll need to contact your network
administrator.

Peter Jamieson

news