Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Liontamer Liontamer is offline

Default How do I create and control multi level lists in Word '07 ?

I understand the difference between bullet, number and multi level lists
(MLL). However, I have some questions when I try to use the MLL: 1) When I
select a MLL from the drop down choices, the paragraph button switches to a
number list? 2) If I try and define my own MLL, I'm confused by all the
choices in the window.
3) I wonder how to tell the program how to indent at each level. 4) I don't
know why when I press Enter the program doesn't automatically display the
next level on my screen. I've got to type it first then press enter...
Overall, I expected a much more clearly defined set of instructions in
training explaining in detail what each box in controlling windows does, etc?
Anybody out there know of any good books explaining everything in detail
with examples regarding MLL? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Lion

Liontamer wrote:
I understand the difference between bullet, number and multi level lists
(MLL). However, I have some questions when I try to use the MLL: 1) When I
select a MLL from the drop down choices, the paragraph button switches to a
number list? 2) If I try and define my own MLL, I'm confused by all the
choices in the window.
3) I wonder how to tell the program how to indent at each level. 4) I don't
know why when I press Enter the program doesn't automatically display the
next level on my screen. I've got to type it first then press enter...
Overall, I expected a much more clearly defined set of instructions in
training explaining in detail what each box in controlling windows does, etc?
Anybody out there know of any good books explaining everything in detail
with examples regarding MLL? Thanks.

I have yet to find it better explained than at Shauna Kelly's site:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/index.html

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

"Liontamer" wrote in message
I understand the difference between bullet, number and multi level lists
(MLL). However, I have some questions when I try to use the MLL: 1) When
select a MLL from the drop down choices, the paragraph button switches to
number list? 2) If I try and define my own MLL, I'm confused by all the
choices in the window.
3) I wonder how to tell the program how to indent at each level.

To quickly create a multilevel list in Word 2007, click Home tab |
Multilevel List and then choose one of the built-in formats presented. For
example, you can choose "1 Heading 1 1.1 Heading 2 1.1.1 Heading 3" to get
numbered headings. In order to create a multilevel list from scratch, choose
Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List. Word displays a
dialog box similar to the Customize Outline Numbered List dialog box of
older versions, and you can use it to change indentation, attach paragraph
styles to levels, etc. For more, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

If you want to modify an existing list, including most lists created in
older versions of Word, you should place the insertion point in the first
top-level paragraph (for example, in the first Heading 1 paragraph in the
case of heading numbering). Then, click Home tab | Multilevel List | Define
New Multilevel List.

Alternatively, you can create a list style (via Home tab | Multilevel List |
Define New List Style) which can then be applied to text as any other style.
An existing list style can be modified the same way you modify any style in
Word (for example via the Manage Styles dialog box). In the Modify Style
dialog box, you can click the Format button, and then click Numbering, to
specify any settings that were available in the Customize Outline Numbered
List dialog box of Word 97-2003. You can even attach a paragraph style to
each numbering level, which makes it easy to apply the numbering to text,
level by level.

4) I
don't
know why when I press Enter the program doesn't automatically display the
next level on my screen. I've got to type it first then press enter...

It seems as if you are using a numbered style. For that style, change the
"Style for following paragraph" setting.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP