Djin

Default Header margins vs. text margins

I am using MS Word 2003. For a college writing course, I have to use APA
style formatting. This means that the header must be .5" from the top AND
sides of the paper, while the text margins must remain at 1". Whenever I try
to put the header in the correct place (right justified, .5" from right
edge), the body of the text moves there also. If I put the text back, the
header follows.
Daiya Mitchell

The header text needs to have a negative indent. Then you can move just
that text outside the margins set for the document.

You can select the text, go to Format | Paragraph and set Indentation: Right
to be -.5 . You would need to repeat that for every doc you want in APA
style. Obviously, you could also do a negative left indent if you have text
on the left of the header.

Alternatively, you can google for an APA template which probably has all
this set up. Kudos to you for not just whining about how Word doesn't have
one, which many many people come here to do. Read on if you are interested
in learning more about controlling Word:

If you want all your documents to be like this, you can Modify the Header
style to have that negative indent automatically in all new documents. See
here for how:
http://shaunakelly.com/word/styles/ModifyAStyle.html
What's a style?
http://shaunakelly.com/word/styles/TipsOnStyles.html

You can also make your own custom template, so that the Header would only
have this formatting when you used that template. Start he
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...platePart1.htm

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/