Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LurfysMa LurfysMa is offline

Default Change section break from new-page to continuous?

Is there any way to change a new-page section break to a contionuous
section break without affecting the document in any other way? That
is, no changes to headers & footers (including whether they are linked
to the previous section), formatting (number of columns), etc.

I have a multi-section document where all of the section breaks force
a new page. Each section has primarily differences in the headers and
footers, but some also have formatting differences (2 column v 1).

Most of the time, I want the new page, but for a few cases, I would
like the sections to continue on the same page if there is space.

I don't see any way to "edit" the section break.

Is there another way to accomplish this?

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LurfysMa LurfysMa is offline

On Wed, 23 May 2007 18:53:57 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

File | Page Setup | Layout: change the "Section start" type.

What do I need to have selected when I do that?

Try #1:
* Select the section break then do the above.
* The Section start field in the Pae Setup panel showed "Continuous".
* Click on OK
* Text fllowing section break still on a new page.
* Reselect the section break and go back into Page Setup.
* The Section start field shows "Continuous".

Try #2:
* Repeat the the above, but change the Apply to field to "Entire
document".
* Same results.

Try #3:
* Select entire document.
* Do the procedure you outlined, but with Apply to "Entire document".
* This worked, but it got all of the section breaks. It so happens
that that is what I wanted this time, but how do I change just one
section break?

PS: I should have changed my signature. I am now running Office 2007.
Not sure if that matters.

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LurfysMa LurfysMa is offline

wrote:

File | Page Setup | Layout: change the "Section start" type.

What do I need to have selected when I do that?

I think I figured it out. I need to select any text in the section
following the break then change the type. This seems to work on all of
the tests I just ran.

After thinking about it some, I guess this makes sense. The formatting
information is contained in the paragraph mark and the section break.
So the continuous/next page information would be stored in the break
at the end of that section.

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LurfysMa LurfysMa is offline

wrote:

File | Page Setup | Layout: change the "Section start" type.

What do I need to have selected when I do that?

I think I figured it out. I need to select any text in the section
following the break then change the type. This seems to work on all of
the tests I just ran.

After thinking about it some, I guess this makes sense. The formatting
information is contained in the paragraph mark and the section break.
So the continuous/next page information would be stored in the break
at the end of that section.

Just trying to get the signature right...sorry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LurfysMa LurfysMa is offline

On Thu, 24 May 2007 00:33:23 -0700, LurfysMa
wrote:

Just trying to get the signature right...sorry

One more time...sorry

--
Office 2007 Pro on WinXP