Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Beth K. Beth K. is offline

Default Shading in Table Cells (Word 2000)

I'm shading cells in a calendar template. In some cells the shading doesn't
fill to the bottom of the cell, a thin white strip remains. Similarly, in
some cells text is clipped off at the top. Top & bottom cell margins are set
to 0. How can I fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

When you apply the shading in the Format Borders & Shading dialog,
make sure the Apply To box is set to "Cell" and not "Paragraph".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 07:49:01 -0800, Beth K. Beth
wrote:

I'm shading cells in a calendar template. In some cells the shading doesn't
fill to the bottom of the cell, a thin white strip remains. Similarly, in
some cells text is clipped off at the top. Top & bottom cell margins are set
to 0. How can I fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

The problems could be caused by this:

The white space:
When applying the shading, did you set the €śApply to€ť value to €śCell€ť?
(check Format Borders and Shading Shading tab Apply to).
If the value was set to €śParagraph€ť and the style in use has space after
(check Format Paragraph Indents and Spacing tab Space After), white
space will appear at the bottom of the cell.

The text that is clipped off:
Check Format Paragraph Indents and Spacing tab Line spacing. If it is
set to €śExactly€ť and if the specified value is too small, the result may be
text that is clipped off.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Beth K." wrote:

I'm shading cells in a calendar template. In some cells the shading doesn't
fill to the bottom of the cell, a thin white strip remains. Similarly, in
some cells text is clipped off at the top. Top & bottom cell margins are set
to 0. How can I fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Beth K. Beth K. is offline

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately neither solved my problems. The
shading in my table is applied to the cell, not the paragraph, and still
leaves a white strip at the bottom of a few cells.

I thought the line spacing might be it for the text with the tops clipped
off, but spacing was set to "single", not a pt size, and changing it didn't
help. I modified the style settings to a larger font pt as well, all to no
avail! Frustrating.

Beth

"Beth K." wrote:

I'm shading cells in a calendar template. In some cells the shading doesn't
fill to the bottom of the cell, a thin white strip remains. Similarly, in
some cells text is clipped off at the top. Top & bottom cell margins are set
to 0. How can I fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

Hi Beth,

Make sure that all the cells in the row have the same top and bottom border.

Regards,
Klaus

"Lene Fredborg" wrote:

The problems could be caused by this:

The white space:
When applying the shading, did you set the "Apply to" value to "Cell"?
(check Format Borders and Shading Shading tab Apply to).
If the value was set to "Paragraph" and the style in use has space after
(check Format Paragraph Indents and Spacing tab Space After),
white
space will appear at the bottom of the cell.

The text that is clipped off:
Check Format Paragraph Indents and Spacing tab Line spacing. If it
is
set to "Exactly" and if the specified value is too small, the result may
be
text that is clipped off.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Beth K." wrote:

I'm shading cells in a calendar template. In some cells the shading
doesn't
fill to the bottom of the cell, a thin white strip remains. Similarly,
in
some cells text is clipped off at the top. Top & bottom cell margins
are set
to 0. How can I fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Beth K. Beth K. is offline

I finally found a response in the discussion group that worked! Cell margins
vary in the template, some are set to 0.08, some the "same as table" box is
checked or cell margins are set to 0. They need to be set to some small
number (NOT 0) for the cell to shade completely.
tablepropertiescelloptions
This isn't about applying shading to paragraph rather than cell as is often
suggested.

The cells with text clipped off the top are still a mystery though.

Beth K

"Beth K." wrote:

I'm shading cells in a calendar template. In some cells the shading doesn't
fill to the bottom of the cell, a thin white strip remains. Similarly, in
some cells text is clipped off at the top. Top & bottom cell margins are set
to 0. How can I fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Beth K. Beth K. is offline

OK, I finally figured it out. The text that was cut off at the top in some
cells was fixed by adding 1pt of space
before(formatparagraphspacingbefore 1pt).

I live with the mystery of why this was necessary in some cells but not
most. Now I can finish my calendar before Christmas. Thanks for help &
suggestions. I hope this helps someone else, too.

Beth