Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tocuin hollisgroup com> tocuin hollisgroup com> is offline

Default Replace formatiing using a template

All,

I have a 100+ page technical document that a client has created on a copy of
Word 2003, where they forgot to uncheck the "track formatting" box. The
document now has a bazillion styles.

To remove the styles, I move the document to a Word 2000 machine, opened it
with WordPad, saved it to a new name, closed it, opened a fresh document
(good ol' normal.dot), and inserted the WordPad-cleansed document. At this
point, the document looked not-so-bad. However, when I went to
Format.ThemeStyle GalleryHollis Group Report (my Hollis roup Report.dot),
the document picked up a decidely non-Hollis set of styles. Headings not
bolded, wrong indents, etc.

Hmmm...

Tried "Professional Report" and the document reformatted every style
correctly.

Hmmmm...

Tried Hollis again, drilled down and the style descriptions are correct,
it's just that the on-screen characters don't have the style.

Hmmmmmm...

Tried highlight style enter"reapply original formatting..." and that work,
but I'm not gonna do this line -by-line for 100+ pages

Is my template broken? Any Ideas?

Thanks!

--
Thomas Quinn, CISSP, AAA