Krytan

Default Zoom setting in word

I am creating a document for a legally blind person. They are using Word 97
on an XP Home system. They want the zoom setting in Word to be set to 125%,
but I can't figure out how to save that setting so that each time they open
Word, it defaults to that setting? Anyone know how?

Thanks,

Kritan
Anne Troy

While it won't change it the first time they open Word, it will change it
any time they open a document from Word:
http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=65
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Krytan" wrote in message
I am creating a document for a legally blind person. They are using Word

97
on an XP Home system. They want the zoom setting in Word to be set to

125%,
but I can't figure out how to save that setting so that each time they

open
Word, it defaults to that setting? Anyone know how?

Thanks,

Kritan

Krytan

Thanks Anne, that will work. I did discover a way to save the Zoom setting
per document.

ON the View menu, selecting Zoom and setting the percentage there, then
saving the document will retain the setting and open with the zoom setting.

Thanks for your help,

Kritan

"Krytan" wrote in message
I am creating a document for a legally blind person. They are using Word

97
on an XP Home system. They want the zoom setting in Word to be set to

125%,
but I can't figure out how to save that setting so that each time they

open
Word, it defaults to that setting? Anyone know how?

Thanks,

Kritan

Daiya Mitchell

Hey Anne,

What's the difference between AutoNew and Document_New and AutoOpen and
Document_Open? (I'm using the Auto macros for this purpose, but I'm also on
a Mac and at VBA5. But I'm pretty sure mine works even when launching Word
by double-clicking on someone's else doc, even though I see a slight pause
before it kicks in).

E.g., I have this, but yours looks *very* different, and I don't know much
about VBA to have a clue why?

Sub AutoNew()
With ActiveWindow.View
.Type = wdNormalView
.Zoom.Percentage = 125
.TableGridlines = True
End With
End Sub

Daiya

PS. Nice VBAX site logo.

"Krytan" wrote in message
I am creating a document for a legally blind person. They are using Word

97
on an XP Home system. They want the zoom setting in Word to be set to

125%,
but I can't figure out how to save that setting so that each time they

open
Word, it defaults to that setting? Anyone know how?

Thanks,

Kritan

Anne Troy

Ah, Daiya! Have you joined yet? I created that site 'cause I hate VBA, but I
need it, and I want everybody else's code!! Did you see the knowledgebase?
The site is only a little more than a year old.
Anyway... a few things AS I UNDERSTAND THEM, which could be wrong...

1. All those macro viruses going around a few years back used autonew and
autoopen.
2. Autonew and autoopen will run if the file is opened using code (I think!)
and docnew and docopen will not.
3. MS dumped autonew and autoopen a few years ago in favor of docnew and
docopen (and wbnew and wbopen for excel). There used to be an MSDN article I
could point people to that had a little bit of insight, but I haven't been
able to find it for a while.

Hope that helps shed SOME light. There's lots of cool discussions going on
over at VBAX, and you could certainly start one about this!
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

.. .

"Krytan" wrote in message
I am creating a document for a legally blind person. They are using

Word
97
on an XP Home system. They want the zoom setting in Word to be set to

125%,
but I can't figure out how to save that setting so that each time they

open
Word, it defaults to that setting? Anyone know how?

Thanks,

Kritan

Jay Freedman

Hi Anne,

I won't quibble (too much!) but there really isn't that much practical
difference between the Document_New/Open procedures and the AutoNew/Open
ones. The article http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/DocumentEvents.htm
discusses them in the first two sections.

The Document_ procedures, which go into the ThisDocument module, are event
handlers. The Auto macros, which go into a regular module, are just ordinary
macros except that Word is hard-coded to look for them at appropriate times.
The article discusses some differences in when the two types will execute.

A little-known fact is that the command
WordBasic.DisableAutoMacros 1
will prevent AutoNew/Open from running
(http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...icCommands.htm). There's nothing
comparable for the event handlers.

I'll be signing up for VBAX, too. Looks like fun!

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman