Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
wanda

Default How to reformat a complete document.

I have a document in word office - document was transferred from an old word
perfect program. After downloading the document, the format is wrong.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

noted.

"wanda" wrote in message
I have a document in word office - document was transferred from an old
word
perfect program. After downloading the document, the format is wrong.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

Could it be that the format was wrong in WordPerfect and is now
right in Word?

wanda wrote:

I have a document in word office - document was transferred from an old word
perfect program. After downloading the document, the format is wrong.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey

Ok,

Run this macro:

Sub MyRightFormat()
Dim oRng As Word.Range
Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Range
With oRng
.Font.Color = wdColorBrightGreen
.Font.Size = 31
.Italic = True
.Underline = wdUnderlineDouble
End With
MsgBox "This is my idea of a well formatted document. Do you agree?"
End Sub

Wanda, what your real question?

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

wanda wrote:
I have a document in word office - document was transferred from an
old word perfect program. After downloading the document, the format
is wrong.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Converted documents make good references but should not be the basis for new
documents in Word. Create a template and put the text from your WP document
in it. Format it the way you want, using styles. Save it. Then create new
documents based on it.

Here is some general info on moving from Word Perfect to Word:

Word and Word Perfect work very differently from one another. Each program's
methods have strengths and weaknesses; but, if you try to use one of these
programs as if it were the other, it is like pushing on a string! You can
easily make a lot of extra work for yourself. If you are unwilling to take
the time to learn to use Word's methods, you should stick to using Word Pad.
You'll have a lot less grief, although you'll miss out on a lot of raw
power. In the (short) long term spending the time to learn Word will save
you time if you are spending any time at all (more than an hour a day) using
Word.

See http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordperfect.htm
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ordPerfect.htm
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...AndGotchas.htm
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/RevealCodes.htm
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...Converters.htm
http://businesssoft.about.com/comput.../blconvert.htm
for information on Word for Word Perfect users.

For mo
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart1.htm
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Number...gExplained.htm
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...latesStore.htm

Function Keys

In Word 2000 (or later) You can get the function keys to display in a
special toolbar at the bottom of the screen if you want (something like
pressing F3 twice in WP). The following macro will do this.
Sub ShowMeFunctionKeys()
Commandbars("Function Key Display").Visible = True
End Sub

Word's Extend key (F8) gives something similar to block processing.

Formatting and Styles

Learn about Styles - really learn!
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm I resisted for years and now
regret every day of those years because although that string was still very
hard to push, it kept getting longer and longer, and had some very important
projects tied to it! Once you understand styles and the Word concept of
organizing things into Chinese boxes everything falls into place and instead
of pushing a string, you can push a button that turns on the very powerful
text processing machine known as Microsoft Word and it will start doing your
work for you instead of running around behind you trying to undo what you
just thought you did.

Converting documents Word / Word Perfect

Some special characters in Word Perfect documents don't convert well to
Word. There is a macro to assist with this described at
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/...html#macroword and can be found
at http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/WPSymbolConv.bas.
This was prepared by Edward Mendelson.
Otherwise, look at the macro from http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=212396
Use these on _copies_!

As for converting documents from Word Perfect to _use_ in Word... In a word,
don't plan on it. I would not recommend using converted documents long-term.
They will be filled with formatting anomolies that will get you at the worst
time. This is especially true of any documents containing automatic
numbering or bullets. Try recreating form documents in Word using the
following process:
In Word Perfect (if you still have it, in Word if not) save your files as
text files.
Use your converted files as references to show you how you want your
formatting to look.
Create a new document in Word and insert the text from the text file. Save
this new document as a Word template. Format it the way you want using
styles, not direct formatting. Save it again.
To use a template within Word, use File = New and pick your template. This
will create a new document for you.

Merge documents have special problems and should be recreated from text
files or retyped in Word. To convert data files, consider generating labels
in WP as a document, converting that to Word, and then using
http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm to get a new Word
data file.

Note that conversions usually do create documents that look passable and
print OK; the problems I'm referring to have to do with editing / making
changes, that is, using the documents long-term. (See below on reusing
documents vs. using templates.)

Conversion back to Word Perfect: There is a problem (in addition to the ones
mentioned for conversion _to_ Word) with Version 2002 (XP) and later of
Word. The conversion file only works for conversion _to_ Word, not from Word
to Word Perfect! Earlier versions went both ways. To fix this, you need to
find the old conversion file WPFT532.CNV from a Word 97 or Word 2000
installation and copy it to your new installation, replacing the file of the
same name. Note, the change making the file one-way was done as a security
measure. While I don't know of any problems the old file causes, keep the
new installation's file somewhere as a backup just in case.

Boilerplate and Forms

In WP a lot of people use macros to hold chunks of text - boilerplate. In
Word this function is filled by Templates, AutoText and AutoCorrect, not
macros. Follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebre...s.htm#AutoText for more
information on these tools.

You can use FILLIN and ASK fields or UserForms to query the user. For more
about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles. You may also want to look at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...nesInForms.htm.

Reusing Documents vs. Using templates

General practice in WP is to have a document and copy and edit it to create
a new document. This is not good practice in Word. In Word, construct a
good, tight, template for your documents and use that template when
constructing new documents. Among other things, this can avoid embarrassing
"metadata" (http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/metadata.htm) and things
like surprise headers and footers from creeping into new documents.

It's a lot of reading, I know. It's OK to chunk it down and do a bit each
day, but I would recommend that you make it a top priority to do that bit
each day. In the (short) long run, it will save you both time and grief.
--

Charles Kenyon

See also the MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs which is awesome!
from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"wanda" wrote in message
I have a document in word office - document was transferred from an old
word
perfect program. After downloading the document, the format is wrong.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Hi Wanda:

They're being very cruel, aren't they...

The short answer is: Use FileSave As and save the document in Text Only
(.txt) format. This strips out all of the WordPerfect formatting, keeping
only the text.

Now, re-save the .TXT version as a Word document and run through it,
applying the correct formatting in Word.

Stripping it back to plain text and starting again is far quicker than any
attempt to "rescue" bad WordPerfect formatting. The internal format of a
WordPerfect document is nothing like a Word document, so trying to fix it
will take more time than simply formatting it anew.

Cheers

On 10/2/06 3:57 PM, in article
, "wanda"
wrote:

I have a document in word office - document was transferred from an old word
perfect program. After downloading the document, the format is wrong.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

I simply copy the entire document and then paste it into WordPad and then
copy it from there and paste it into a new Word document and apply my styles
and formatting. It's quick and easy!
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

wrote:

I have a document in word office - document was transferred from an old word
perfect program. After downloading the document, the format is wrong.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AnnieB

Wanda,

If you have a number of WordPerfect files which you expect to use in Word,
here are a few ideas:

1) Investigate Levit & James (www.levitjames.com) product named CrossWords.
This product does an incredible job converting WP documents to Word. Many
law firms use this product. I've used it in many conversions from WP to
Word. They provide excellent service and assistance in fine tuning the
conversion for your set of WP documents.

2) Investigate MicroSystems (www.microsystems.com) - they also provide WP to
Word conversion capabilities. Their approach is different from Levit & James.
I have never used Microsystems WP to Word conversion product/system.

3) If neither of the above is a possibility, here's a taste of the approach
I take at law firms who cannot or will not use the Levit & James product
(CrossWords.) The approach works because it is based on the way Word works.

Create a template containing a standard set of styles relevant to your
documents. (This is usually done by the consultant working with the help
desk or the "Word" person at the firm.) Make sure this template's page
layout is as you desire. To improve Word's justification ( which is pretty
crappy), go to Tools, Options, Compatibility and choose "Do full
justification like WordPerfect 6.x for Windows". This template will be your
"container" for the text in the old WP doc. (One other thought - I have seen
way too many Normal templates with screwed up page layout, compatibility,
etc. I am almost tempted to say close Word, blow away your Normal template
and then open Word. It regenerates the Normal template.)

It is helpful to print the WP document, so you can refer to it for
formatting. Maybe your documents are not as long or rigidly formatted as
some legal documents, so you may not have to print the document.

Open the WP document in Word. Select all text EXCEPT the last paragraph
mark. As far back as Word 1.1 we knew that this last paragraph mark can
contain corruption and it can be helpful to not copy it.

Open a document based on the template discussed above which contains your
standard set of styles. The choose Edit, Paste Special, Unformatted Text.

Now you have unformatted text in a Word container.

Before you fixate on formatting paragraphs, words, etc. you should continue
to work in a "top down" fashion. Insert Section Breaks where needed. Start
at the first section and make page layout changes for that section as
desired. Set up your page numbering in this first section, as desired. (BTW
- Insert, Page Number from the menu is to be avoided. I have seen (and read)
that the "frame" (what is it called nowadays?) in which the page number is
placed can cause comparison problems when using, for example, a comparison
product like DeltaView. There are other issues as well with that damned
Insert, Page Number.) Proceed to the next section and make page layout
changes, set up page numbering; continue on this way.

Now you have a Word container whose sections are properly formatted,
containing unformatted text. Now you can apply styles, and then proceed to
formatting words (characters.)

If you need to generate a TOC, TOA, or set up automatic paragraph numbering;
or you need tables, etc. you can proceed in those directions, knowing the
container for your document is nicely set.

Maybe this helps ..? Or might have been overkill!

AnnieB

"wanda" wrote:

I have a document in word office - document was transferred from an old word
perfect program. After downloading the document, the format is wrong.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The final paragraph contains *formatting,* not corruption; that's why you
don't copy it. But this approach won't help if the WP document contains
section breaks, which Word will think it does if the margins or
header/footer change between pages; a converted WP doc will contain *lots*
of section breaks.

"wanda" wrote:

I have a document in word office - document was transferred from an old

word
perfect program. After downloading the document, the format is wrong.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AnnieB

IME it does get rid of the dreaded plethora (*lots* is an understatement!) of
Section Breaks (continuous) and otherwise) left over from WP. Otherwise I
couldn't have counted on using this process over the years. My experience is
with Word 2000, XP, and 2003 vs. WordPerfect docs of much dubious heritage,
age, and funkiness of their own. And ... it often gets rid of those nasty WP
Typographic Symbols (is that the correct expression?)

"wanda" wrote:

I have a document in word office - document was transferred from an old

word
perfect program. After downloading the document, the format is wrong.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If it does all that, it's definitely worth trying, but I would guess it
would works well only if you could open the doc in WP and copy. I don't see
how such a copy/paste would get rid of the section breaks after the document
had been opened in Word.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The final paragraph contains *formatting,* not corruption; that's why

you
don't copy it. But this approach won't help if the WP document contains
section breaks, which Word will think it does if the margins or
header/footer change between pages; a converted WP doc will contain

*lots*
of section breaks.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"wanda" wrote:

I have a document in word office - document was transferred from an

old
word
perfect program. After downloading the document, the format is

wrong.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AnnieB

Nope - opening the WP doc in Word works just fine. Done this for year's in
firms where WP has gone bye-bye. Believe me, if it hadn't worked, I would've
been strung up by groups of stressed legal secretaries! (Scary thought!)

"wanda" wrote:

I have a document in word office - document was transferred from an

old
word
perfect program. After downloading the document, the format is

wrong.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try it the next time I'm forced to deal
with a WP doc. Although fortunately this happens less and less frequently in
my business, I'm about to begin a project that involves having a couple of
dozen writers submitting short stories, and inevitably at least a couple of
them will still be using WP.

Now that I think of it, though, this is the method I use for these short
stories: I have a template for the anthology that I use to (as a first step)
create a separate file for each story (later they're assembled into the
finished ms using Insert | File). I use Copy/Paste to dump (most of) the
author's doc into it, and it seems to me that I'm still cleaning up the WP
Typographic Symbols in some of those.

FWIW, does Insert | File to operate the same way as copying and pasting
without the final paragraph mark? I would expect it to.

"wanda" wrote:

I have a document in word office - document was transferred from

an
old
word
perfect program. After downloading the document, the format is

wrong.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AnnieB

Those darned WP Typographic Symbols!!! Argh!

Here's how I've tested the copy/paste unformatted text process (very
unscientific test!) Once the doc is in Word 2003 ... save it ... then open
in Word 97. If the WP Typographic Symbols still exist - they will appear in
Word 97. I don't know about Word 2000, they do not appear after the above
copy/paste unformatted text process in Word XP or 2003. (I keep Word 97
around on an old laptop because so darn many attorneys still use it. What
are they waiting for???)

I think the key to this is to paste unformatted text. Insert, File never
did enough "cleanup" to make it worth leaning on, at least for the work I do
with legal secretaries in small firms. YMMV! Give it a whirl, I'll do the
same with Insert, File, and we'll se what we discover!

"wanda" wrote:

I have a document in word office - document was transferred from

an
old
word
perfect program. After downloading the document, the format is
wrong.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Okay, I was missing the "unformatted text" issue. I could do that if I had
hard copy of the doc so that I can see what the authors intended wrt
italics, bold, special spacing, etc.