Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aleeherself aleeherself is offline

Default All my docs are viewing as text only after exporting CSV file

I was exporting a Word document to Excel as a CSV file, and following that
all my Word documents are now showing only as text files. How do I fix this
problem? And it does the same thing even if I put in a CD and open it from
there.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?YWxlZWhlcnNlbGY=?=,

I was exporting a Word document to Excel as a CSV file, and following that
all my Word documents are now showing only as text files. How do I fix this
problem? And it does the same thing even if I put in a CD and open it from
there.

HOW were you doing this "exporting", more exactly? And with which version of
Office (so that we can tell you the best way to try to fix it).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aleeherself aleeherself is offline

I was in excel and went through the export/import wizard. It asked me to put
my office disc in to install something and it exported it okay, but now all
my documents view with just the text and any graphics in code. Here is an
example:

...\..\..\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Catalog\Downloaded
Clips\cl0\ph01207j.jpg
...\..\..\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Catalog\Downloaded
Clips\cl0\ph01207j.jpg
Photoshop 3.0
'File written by Adobe Photoshop¨ 4.0
dEU6te
uãóF¤´ÄÔäô¥µÅÕåõVfv*¦ ÆÖæö'7GWgw
pcX×7kDh
_+("õt:VEÖQ§
d·yg
`u{pì{pÅnÉ:Y}²
qœ,'SZXñAgO«
|\ãôO¥T;w*o.
V©ô}7VÊõ-ö*Ð5Û¯ÅW7/fW`
qú¿Á]³[¦Ðñ˜*®kiudw3
'Ô?Oþë*+dMôc]L
TïMÐ`WS}~ùmP{X
C^[¹¾ïký=ŽQ'2÷WKl²ÃQ
etc.
And, by the way, thank you so very much for your help!

Audrey

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?YWxlZWhlcnNlbGY=?=,

I was exporting a Word document to Excel as a CSV file, and following that
all my Word documents are now showing only as text files. How do I fix this
problem? And it does the same thing even if I put in a CD and open it from
there.

HOW were you doing this "exporting", more exactly? And with which version of
Office (so that we can tell you the best way to try to fix it).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?YWxlZWhlcnNlbGY=?=,

Don't thank me too soon...

You still haven't told me which version of Office was involved and we NEED that
information in order to tell give you any steps.

When you see a document like you show us: HOW are you opening the document (what
steps)? Be very specific, please.

[...]

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?YWxlZWhlcnNlbGY=?=,

I was exporting a Word document to Excel as a CSV file, and following that
all my Word documents are now showing only as text files. How do I fix this
problem? And it does the same thing even if I put in a CD and open it from
there.

HOW were you doing this "exporting", more exactly? And with which version of
Office (so that we can tell you the best way to try to fix it).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aleeherself aleeherself is offline

I am using Word 2000 with Windows XP. I am just opening it in word like I
would with normally from the fileopen command. But it shows up the same
when I All files are showing up this way.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

uãóFâÂ¤â¦Â´â¢Ãà ¤Ã´Â¥ÂµÃÃåõVfvâ â¦Ã*Ãæö'7GWgw
pcXÃ7kDh
_+("õt:VEÃQ§
d·yg
`u{pì{pÃnÃ:Y}²
qÅ,'SZXñAgO«
|\ãôO¥T;w*o.
V©ô}7VÃ*õ-öÃ*Ðâš5ïÃW7/fW`
qú¿Á]³[¦Ðñ˜Ã*®â¹kiudw3
'�OþëŠ+dMôc]L
TïMÐ`WS}~ùmP{X
C^[¹¾ïkýâ=ŽQ'2÷WKl²ÃQ
etc.
And, by the way, thank you so very much for your help!

Audrey

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?YWxlZWhlcnNlbGY=?=,

I was exporting a Word document to Excel as a CSV file, and following that
all my Word documents are now showing only as text files. How do I fix this
problem? And it does the same thing even if I put in a CD and open it from
there.

HOW were you doing this "exporting", more exactly? And with which version of
Office (so that we can tell you the best way to try to fix it).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/RecoverText.htm for one possible
explanation.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?YWxlZWhlcnNlbGY=?=,

I was exporting a Word document to Excel as a CSV file, and

following that
all my Word documents are now showing only as text files. How do

I fix this
problem? And it does the same thing even if I put in a CD and

open it from
there.

HOW were you doing this "exporting", more exactly? And with which

version of
Office (so that we can tell you the best way to try to fix it).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aleeherself aleeherself is offline

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! That was it! All is well on
Planet Audrey now!

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?YWxlZWhlcnNlbGY=?=,

I was exporting a Word document to Excel as a CSV file, and

following that
all my Word documents are now showing only as text files. How do

I fix this
problem? And it does the same thing even if I put in a CD and

open it from
there.

HOW were you doing this "exporting", more exactly? And with which

version of
Office (so that we can tell you the best way to try to fix it).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A significant "gotcha" in Word 97 and 2000. They fixed it in Word 2002 by
making Word revert to your previous setting after using Recover Text.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/RecoverText.htm for one possible
explanation.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?YWxlZWhlcnNlbGY=?=,

I was exporting a Word document to Excel as a CSV file, and

following that
all my Word documents are now showing only as text files. How

do
I fix this
problem? And it does the same thing even if I put in a CD and

open it from
there.

HOW were you doing this "exporting", more exactly? And with

which
version of
Office (so that we can tell you the best way to try to fix it).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 17

2005)