Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ll ll is offline

Default word 2007 experienced a problem opening a .docx file it saved

i felt shocked and disappointed to see that even having installed service
pack 1 in office 2007, i have an incident where i created a new document
based on a business plan template and after entering more data to it, and
clicking the save button to save it (it was in .docx format, average file
size), i cannot open the document immediately after closing it. i tried to
follow word's suggestion by repairing the document etc, but failed. So I now
have a document that cannot be recovered even in the supposedly improved Word
or recoverability in XML format. I run it on Windows XP SP2 Traditional
Chinese version with symantec corp antivirus installed.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi LL

LL wrote:
i felt shocked and disappointed to see that even having installed service
pack 1 in office 2007, i have an incident where i created a new document
based on a business plan template and after entering more data to it, and
clicking the save button to save it (it was in .docx format, average file
size), i cannot open the document immediately after closing it. i tried to
follow word's suggestion by repairing the document etc, but failed. So I now
have a document that cannot be recovered even in the supposedly improved Word
or recoverability in XML format. I run it on Windows XP SP2 Traditional
Chinese version with symantec corp antivirus installed.

no experience with that language version. Might be that the template
itself is corrupt already? Did you create it yourself, in 2007? Positive
it's not from a beta version?

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ll ll is offline

Of course my software is not the beta version.
I used the business plan template I found from Microsoft sources. Didn't
have time to create the whole thing from the beginning.
Again, I ran into the same kind of problem when I had my copy of Word 6.0 in
Windows 3.1 in around 14 years ago. I lost all my work because the saved file
could not be opened again. They seem to corrected the problem later after
issuing 6.0c patch. It is disappointing they still have this kind of problem
a decade later.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi LL

LL wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi L.L.,

Do you have a link to the Microsoft Business Plan template you are using? The comment to beta isn't necessarily to the Word software
itself but to changes made in the new document formats in pre-release versions of Office 2007 that can cause older documents to not
be readable in some cases by the release version.

The Office Open XML file formats that are used in Word 2007 are zipped XML files and even in a corrupted one it's not uncommon to be
able to manually extract the contents to preserve it although it's certainly not an obvious procedure.

If you create a copy of the document (to preserve the original) and use File=Open to open the document what is the error message
you're seeing?

If you use File=Open and on the Open|v button choose the repair option do you get the same result? Also if you set the file type
to 'recover text from any file'?

If you close and restart Word while holding down the control key can you open the document?

============
"LL" wrote in message news Of course my software is not the beta version.
I used the business plan template I found from Microsoft sources. Didn't
have time to create the whole thing from the beginning.
Again, I ran into the same kind of problem when I had my copy of Word 6.0 in
Windows 3.1 in around 14 years ago. I lost all my work because the saved file
could not be opened again. They seem to corrected the problem later after
issuing 6.0c patch. It is disappointing they still have this kind of problem
a decade later.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mkestian mkestian is offline

This is unbelievable I have the exact same problem i was working on the
business plan for 2 days and all of the sudden today it stops working.

The business plan template is from the office site SCORE and the title is
Business Plan for Startup business. What really is killing me is that the
plan is supposed to be going to someone soon.

The error message i get is Office Open ML file Filename.docx cannot be
opened because there are problems with its content. I click on details and
get the message whitespace expected Location Part: /word/document.xml line 2
column 1556096.

I have tried open and repair as well as recover text from any file. I even
changed the xtension to zip to inspect the document.xml file but that file
will not open. This file is highly critical and contains confidential
information, so i can not send it off to anyone. i am very technical so once
i have the right steps i can do them. I NEED HELP.
"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi M.K.,

Without having any access to the file it's a bit tougher to diagnose, so these may seem to be a bit general in nature.

The template you're using is dated Feb2004 (.dot format) and should generally be okay. There's nothing particularly fancy in the
document template before adding data to it.

If you create a folder on your hard drive, add .zip to the name of your saved .docx file then double click in it in Windows and copy
out the document.xml portion to that other folder, what happens when you try to then open it in Notepad or just double clicking it
there? (You mentioned you weren't able to document.xml)? 'Whitespace expected' would seem to indicate it might be near a table or
in a header/footer.

What type of content have you added (i.e. is everything typed, or do you have linked objects, pasted graphics, etc)? Do you use
styles for formatting or ???

Are you running any add-ins in Word 2007?

Do you have Automatic Backup files being created in Word when you save?

Has Word crashed at all when working with this file?

FWIW, in general, on using the downloaded templates I usually make a couple of backup copies before using them and start off with
stepping through in Word 2007 , one checkmark at a time, running the template through
Office Button=Prepare=Inspect Document
to see if if there are any surprises and to start as clean as possible.

That run on this template took out about 17K of data, which is likely not too much of a significant amount in a 26 page document,
but I've found that I've had less trouble with ones that start off from a .DOT and go right to .docx, especially when they're
downloaded directly into Word from online.

==============
"mkestian" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] ronb1224@tx.rr.com is offline

Had this exact same problem this morning. This time I started by
opening Word with "File, New". Worked on my doc for about an hour and
did several saves in between. Since the doc contained sensitive data,
I password protected it, then closed it and tried to re-open it to
make sure the PW protection worked. Then I got the "Office cannot
open the file...." and then the "file is corrupt" message. After
several attempts to recover the data using the Office file recovery
feature (with the same results), I shut down Word and re-started it by
holding down the CTRL key. Was then able to open the file. At that
point I re-saved and shut down Word. However, when I re-opened it, I
again got the same error.

Went back in to Word in safe mode and did a Save As on the file and
gave it a new name. Got out of safe mode and went back in - AGAIN
the same error. At this point, I simply copied all of the contents
and started a new file - VERY weird.

Oh, and at no time did Word or my system crash during all of this.

ronb1224

On Feb 3, 6:30*pm, "Bob Buckland ?:-\)" 75214.226(At Beautiful
Downtown)compuserve.com wrote:
[...]

* *Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends*

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] fabien.blondeau@bluewin.ch is offline

I experienced the same issue this morning with a quite large document
using dynamic links to Excel2007 and the fusion Word2007 function. I
did not have any Word crashs so I was surprised to not be able to open
it (the document did not open at all).

Starting Word in safe mode and/or using the open|repair option were
not helping to open the file. I finally open the /word/document.xml
and removed the section notified by Word (2/1942264) :
m:sSubm:sSubPrm:ctrlPrw:rPrw:rFonts w:ascii="Cambria Math"
w:hAnsi="Cambria Math"/w:i//w:rPr/m:ctrlPr/
m:sSubPrm:em:rw:rPrw:rFonts w:ascii="Cambria Math"
w:hAnsi="Cambria Math"//w:rPrm:tLW/m:t/m:r/
m:em:subm:rw:rPrw:rFonts w:ascii="Cambria Math"
w:hAnsi="Cambria Math"//w:rPrm:tCIBLE/m:t/m:r/m:sub/
m:sSub.

and then I was able to recover the document :-)

Thanks a lot Bob for your advise, it was more efficient than coming
from the last backup situation.

Fab