Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Darryl Darryl is offline

Default Problem with numbered headers and table of contents

I am using the automatic TOC feature in Word 2007 to create a table of
contents for a document with 4 different header levels. The headers are
auto-numbered (Ex. 1, 1.1. 1.1.a, 2...).

My problem is that intermittently the table of contents will split the
header number apart from the header topic... and both items will be shown
separately on the table of contents (and with the correct page numbers).

I have attempted to retype these headings, examined the TOC code, adjusted
the style... and done everthing else that I can conceivable see as the cause.
However; I still have not been able to resolve this concern.

I'm hoping that someone out there, smarter than I, might have some
suggestion that I have not already tried.

Thank you in advance for the help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Darryl Darryl is offline

I feel silly responding to my own question; but in case it might help others
later, I have resolved my concern.

In addition to enabling 'format' view (which will display paragraph breaks,
tabs, etc.), you also want to make certain that you have mark-ups visible,
should you activate the 'Track Changes' tool.

By doing so, I was able to isolate situations where formatting in earlier
document iterations were causing problems with the styles applied in my
document additions. By adjusting my new text to a different line than the
old text (as it appears in the 'Track Changes' tool), the Table of Contents
corrected itself... and now shows header and numbering on the same line.

"Darryl" wrote:

I am using the automatic TOC feature in Word 2007 to create a table of
contents for a document with 4 different header levels. The headers are
auto-numbered (Ex. 1, 1.1. 1.1.a, 2...).

My problem is that intermittently the table of contents will split the
header number apart from the header topic... and both items will be shown
separately on the table of contents (and with the correct page numbers).

I have attempted to retype these headings, examined the TOC code, adjusted
the style... and done everthing else that I can conceivable see as the cause.
However; I still have not been able to resolve this concern.

I'm hoping that someone out there, smarter than I, might have some
suggestion that I have not already tried.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Indeed, all kinds of numbering in Word will (or may) display incorrectly
when you are tracking changes; accepting all changes fixes that.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP