Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pom15595 pom15595 is offline

Default Bookmarks OLE_LINKs - What Are They and Why Are They Created

What are OLE_LINK bookmarks?
Why / when are they created?
What is their purpose?
When I delete them what does I "lose"?

I always seem to end up with a large number of these in my bookmarks and (to
keep things neat and only have the bookmarks that I want) I end up having to
manually delete them periodically.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

OLE_LINK bookmarks are created when you (or perhaps a piece of 3rd party
software) have selected and copied something in Word and then use
Paste-Special to paste a link (either in Word or in another program).

The other program stores the fact that the data in Word came from
something that Word understands called "OLE_LINK". So when the program
wants to update the link, it can request Word for the data with that name.

So if yo remove the bookmark, other programs that have inserted links
with a reference to OLE_LINK will not be able to update the link.

Other than that, these bookmarks are no different from any other bookmark.

(Unfortunately, these link bookmarks are created as soon as you go into
Paste-Special, rather than when you actually specify that you want to
insert anything.)

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 23/04/2010 07:45, pom15595 wrote:
What are OLE_LINK bookmarks?
Why / when are they created?
What is their purpose?
When I delete them what does I "lose"?

I always seem to end up with a large number of these in my bookmarks and (to
keep things neat and only have the bookmarks that I want) I end up having to
manually delete them periodically.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pom15595 pom15595 is offline

Is there a clever way (ie macro) for deleting these?

I often use [paste special - unformatted text] - to avoid messing with
formatting. I presume this would create these OLE_LINK bookmarks - correct?

.