Jeff C

Default relating styles to outline levels and TOC

Outline levels relate directly to TOC levels right? Isn't there a direct way
to assign each outline level to match a TOC level and a style..simple,
straight forward...nothing fancy? I have a mess of two long documents, I
have tried clearing all the formatting so I get a naked document, I should
then be able to go to view outline and assign a level which has a certain
font and outline level but it is not happening. Any guidence appreciated.
Thank you
Daiya Mitchell

Yes, TOC levels do correlate to outline levels, generally you don't need to
consciously assign them. However, in Outline View what you are actually
applying by using Promote and Demote are Heading styles, which carry a
built-in outline level.

How exactly are you "assigning the level", and what happens instead? And
what version of Word?

Also, Outline View doesn't necessarily show formatting.

These articles may answer your question, though at present there is not
enough information for me at least to know what the problem might be.

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ingStyles.html
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingOLView.htm

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Jeff C

Thanks Daiya: got pulled away and am finally back. Word from Office 2003.
What I decided to do is go to reference, TOC and actually reformat each TOC
the way I want. Then I am going to Styles and reformatting each style to
match the TOC Levels, that way I figure everything will be the same
consistently. I have two documents produced by two different people and I am
combining them so that the 2nd document is the 13th Appendix. I guess even
most of the references just don't tell you that you have three independent
formatting groups, TOC, Styles and the third Format which just ruins a
document. Thanks for your help with the articles.
It would be nice if you could cut and paste into a document, another and
have all the styles apply.

On 7/29/05 6:51 AM, "Jeff C" wrote:

Outline levels relate directly to TOC levels right? Isn't there a direct way
to assign each outline level to match a TOC level and a style..simple,
straight forward...nothing fancy? I have a mess of two long documents, I
have tried clearing all the formatting so I get a naked document, I should
then be able to go to view outline and assign a level which has a certain
font and outline level but it is not happening. Any guidence appreciated.
Thank you

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Daiya Mitchell

Hi Jeff,

What you described doesn't really make sense to me, which means I am not
sure it's the most efficient way--though it could just be the way you
explain it.

The way I would do it--clear all the formatting, as you did.
Go into Outline View and use promote/demote to apply Heading Styles.
Modify the Heading Styles so that they looked the way I wanted.
Generate the TOC--the heading styles will automatically correlate to the TOC
levels so that all Heading 1 texts are shown as TOC 1.
Modify the TOC styles so that they looked the way I wanted.
Done.

(and usually the Heading and TOC styles are "based on" each other so that
they don't all necessarily need to be modified individually).

What "third Format which just ruins a document" are you talking about?
Doesn't make any sense to me, so I wonder if you have misunderstood.

Daiya

On 7/29/05 6:51 AM, "Jeff C" wrote:

Outline levels relate directly to TOC levels right? Isn't there a direct
way
to assign each outline level to match a TOC level and a style..simple,
straight forward...nothing fancy? I have a mess of two long documents, I
have tried clearing all the formatting so I get a naked document, I should
then be able to go to view outline and assign a level which has a certain
font and outline level but it is not happening. Any guidence appreciated.
Thank you

Jeff C

Hello Daiya:

Well I guess the part I didn't get was that "the heading styles will
automatically correlate to the TOC levels so that all Heading 1 texts are
shown as TOC 1". What I mean't by the format comment was ....referring to
the corporate document I received, which had TOC levels all assigned with
different fonts and paragraph setting, and heading styles all assigned yet
different fonts and paragraph settings. Then, whomever created or finalized
the 170 page document went through it and actually formatted each section
with different fonts, bolds, underlines etc., as well as different
justifications and number lists.

I cleared all formatting (which I referred to as ruining the document), and
then modified all the TOC styles to the way I wanted, then matched the
styles, ie., TOC 1 font and paragraph setting = Heading 1 Style font and
paragraph setting. Slowly it is working, it just takes time.

But this is really my first exercise with this type of thing in WORD. I am
an old WordPerfect 8 fan left over from my days in a law office. Once I work
through this I will create a template to work from and the next exersices
will go much smoother.

I first found these discussion groups seeking help with MS Access.
Searching these groups is the best thing since, well I don't know.....Single
Malt Scotch????? For the new folks that read this....Search these groups
first and read all the threads... a wealth of information. Anyway thanks to
you, and the other guru's and MVPs. I love these groups.

On 7/29/05 6:51 AM, "Jeff C" wrote:

Outline levels relate directly to TOC levels right? Isn't there a direct
way
to assign each outline level to match a TOC level and a style..simple,
straight forward...nothing fancy? I have a mess of two long documents, I
have tried clearing all the formatting so I get a naked document, I should
then be able to go to view outline and assign a level which has a certain
font and outline level but it is not happening. Any guidence appreciated.
Thank you

To further clarify what Daiya was saying:

1. Word has a set of nine built-in heading styles, Heading 1 through Heading
9. They are all formatted differently, but the general principal is that
Heading 1 is bigger and more important than Heading 2 and so on down. You
can modify any one of these styles to look any way you want.

2. Word also has nine levels of TOC styles, TOC 1 through TOC 9. They are
identical (plain 12-pt TNR) except for the left and hanging indents, which
are larger on each descending style. That is, TOC 1 has no left indent, and
a 0.17" hanging indent, TOC 2 has a .17" left indent and a 0.33" hanging
indent, and so on. You can also modify these styles to look any way you
want. You can make them match the heading styles, but this is usually not
advisable since the TOC serves a different purpose from the headings.

3. When you create a TOC, by default, all Heading 1 paragraphs are
represented by a TOC 1 paragraph, Heading 2 by TOC 2, and so on. You can
change this, too, if you like, by assigning different levels in the TOC
options. You can omit built-in styles by removing their numbers. You can
also add your own custom styles by assigning a level (you can do this in the
Format Paragraph dialog or directly in the TOC Options).

On 7/29/05 6:51 AM, "Jeff C" wrote:

Outline levels relate directly to TOC levels right? Isn't there a d

irect
way
to assign each outline level to match a TOC level and a

style..simple,
straight forward...nothing fancy? I have a mess of two long

documents, I
have tried clearing all the formatting so I get a naked document, I

should
then be able to go to view outline and assign a level which has a

certain
font and outline level but it is not happening. Any guidence

appreciated.
Thank you

Jeff C

Thank you Suzanne:

I think I am finally understanding.you and the others in here have
absolutely amazing talent. Wish there were recorded video of you guys
demonstrating some of this.

Have a great weekend.

On 7/29/05 6:51 AM, "Jeff C" wrote:

Outline levels relate directly to TOC levels right? Isn't there a d

irect
way
to assign each outline level to match a TOC level and a

style..simple,
straight forward...nothing fancy? I have a mess of two long

documents, I
have tried clearing all the formatting so I get a naked document, I

should
then be able to go to view outline and assign a level which has a

certain
font and outline level but it is not happening. Any guidence

appreciated.
Thank you

Daiya Mitchell

Hi Jeff,

Those three articles I linked at first will also explain more about what's
going on and how Word works, and may make more sense now, especially the
second and third.

Re coming from WordPerfect, check these links at some point:

These links might not have the answer to your specific question, but you
will probably find them very useful as you switch from WordPerfect to Word.

How Word differs from WordPerfect
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ordPerfect.htm

Some Tips and "Gotchas" for those who are new to Word
Especially if migrating from WordPerfect
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...AndGotchas.htm

Is There Life After "Reveal Codes"?
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/RevealCodes.htm

WordPerfect to Word converters (and why none of them are perfect)
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...Converters.htm

Daiya

Thank you Suzanne: