Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jaye Jaye is offline

Default Shared document not read only when opened a second time

I am in Word 2007, using a document shared over our network. When i have the
file open, and another user tries to open it, it does not open as read only
to prevent changes from the other user. Word 2003 did this automatically. How
do i make sure to prevent changes to a shared document when another user has
the file open?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Jaye

Jaye wrote:
I am in Word 2007, using a document shared over our network. When i have the
file open, and another user tries to open it, it does not open as read only
to prevent changes from the other user. Word 2003 did this automatically. How
do i make sure to prevent changes to a shared document when another user has
the file open?

I've found an interesting post on this subject by a MSFT employee:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...1e8857e8928b4d

It doesn't really answer _why_ sometimes you don't receive that message.
But it seems that's its the OS or the file server setup that determines
what/how Word can open such a file.

..2cents
Robert
--