futureknight

Default why would changing a style modify other styles (not based on each

I've created a template and styles. Specifically I didn't like the default
outlining conventions. I noticed I need 2 more levels of indent (levels 8 and
9). I accessed those and added them to my template, and then used the modify
styles box to format it properly. I DID indicate that level 8, for example,
was supposed to be based on level 7.

When I make the changes, level 8 looks good, but now levels 1, 2, etc are
off.

Why would changing a style 8 levels down and customizing its options throw
off the entire document?
Klaus Linke

With numbered styles, the number position and indent aren't stored in =
the style, but in the list template.
And editing any of the styles can mess up the list template (... read: =
the indents of the other 8 styles).

So for one, keep in mind that the indents defined in the paragraph style =
might get removed... Best, don't define such indents at all for outline =
numbered styles.
And then, don't modify the indents (=3D number position, text position =
in the numbering dialog) of the individual styles. Instead, always only =
modify the top level style, and then navigate to the list level (=3D =
style) whose indent you want to modify from there.
Else, Word is very likely to mess up the original list template.

Greetings,
Klaus

"futureknight" wrote:
I've created a template and styles. Specifically I didn't like the =

default=20
outlining conventions. I noticed I need 2 more levels of indent =

(levels 8 and=20
9). I accessed those and added them to my template, and then used the =

modify=20
styles box to format it properly. I DID indicate that level 8, for =

example,=20
was supposed to be based on level 7.=20
=20
When I make the changes, level 8 looks good, but now levels 1, 2, etc =

are=20
off.=20
=20
Why would changing a style 8 levels down and customizing its options =

throw=20
off the entire document?