Dolfan14

Default Unable to Merge as I am unable to select 'Contacts'

I am currently using MS Word 2002 (10.6612.6714) SP3 and MS Outlook 2003
(11.6359.6360) SP1. When I want to create a merge file I want to use the data
from my Outlook Contact folder. The process I use is as follows: Tools,
Letters and Mailings, Envelopes and Labels. I then select "Insert Address",
and in the Select Name window, the Outlook Address Book is shown in the "Show
Names from the:" field and "No entries in this Address Book" is indicated. I
then select "Contacts" from the drop down window and replace the "Outlook
Address Book" in the 'show names from the:' field. At this point I receive a
Mircosoft Word message "Microsoft Wor has encountered a problem and needs to
close...

The error signature is as follows:

AppName: winword.exe AppVer: 10.0.6612.0 ModName: msvcrt.dll
ModVer: 7.0.2600.2180 Offset: 000380b8

Any feedback/assistance would be greatly appreciated...

Peter Jamieson

It is often simpler and more flexible to initiate merges using Outlook's
Tools|Mail merge option (select some contacts first), but mixing versions of
Word and Outlook may well create problems for that approach .

Peter Jamieson

"Dolfan14" wrote in message
[...]

Dolfan14

Thanks Peter, and that is what I usually did when I had Outlook 2000. But
since upgrading to Outlook 2003, when I perform the same process as you
described I get the message "to use this feature, you must install the
version of
Mircosoft Word that matches the installed version of Microsoft Office
Outlook". I am using MS Word 2002 that came with Suite 2004.

Also, when I was using MS Word 2000, I was able to view these addresses and
insert accordingly. If I want to insert an address from a data file in MS
Word 2002, where do I extract the data from as opposed to physically typing
in the address. In other words, when I "insert address" what address book
does the data come from?

Thanks again...

"Dolfan14" wrote in message
[...]

Peter Jamieson

"to use this feature, you must install the
version of
Mircosoft Word that matches the installed version of Microsoft Office
Outlook".

I had a nasty feeling that would be the case.

It is possible that you could get the "initiate from Word" option that you
mentioned to work by installing the latest version of the MDAC (Data Access
stuff), Jet, etc., but I think that is quite a risky business.

Another approach is to export the data via Outlook's File|Import and Export
menu option. You can export to Access or Excel format, which may help avoid
some problems where you have delimiters in your data (e.g. commas and quote
marks). There may be some problems, e.g. the information about which is the
postal address may not get through.

Peter Jamieson

"Dolfan14" wrote in message
[...]

Dolfan14

Thanks Peter...I can uderstand Word 2002 being incompatible with Outlook 2003
but it frustrates me that Outlook 2003 is not compatible with Word 2002. It
is almost as though Microsoft wants you to always upgrade to the newest
version and holds you hostage until you do so! Argh....

As always, I appreciate the feedback and your assistance...