Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Nate in Wisconsin Nate in Wisconsin is offline

Default Alternating Page Numbers

I have a number of multi-page documents I want to put in a 3-ring binder.
I'm using Mirror Margins to give me space to punch the holes. I also want to
alternate the page numbers in the header so that they're always on the
outside of the page: odd pages on the far right of the header, even pages on
the far left of the header. I could do this in Word 98, but I can't for the
life of me figure out how to do it in Word 2007. HELP!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Nate in Wisconsin wrote:
I have a number of multi-page documents I want to put in a 3-ring
binder.
I'm using Mirror Margins to give me space to punch the holes. I also
want to alternate the page numbers in the header so that they're
always on the outside of the page: odd pages on the far right of the
header, even pages on the far left of the header. I could do this in
Word 98, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it in
Word 2007. HELP!

When the cursor is in the header area, the Header & Footer Tools tab appears
on the ribbon. In that tab, in the Options group, check "Different Odd &
Even Pages".

The blue tag attached to the bottom of the header area changes to "Odd Page
Header". Insert a page number at the right, either by selecting one of the
right-aligned numbers from the Page Number Top of Page gallery, or by
pressing the Tab key twice to get to the right margin and then choosing a
number from Page Number Current Position. (You may have to reapply the
Header style to the header, as the gallery entries have a nasty habit of
applying unwanted Normal style.)

Now click the Next Section button in the Navigation group to get to the Even
Page Header (note that you must have at least two pages already to see
this), and insert a page number at the left margin there.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman