Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michael Jakubowicz Michael Jakubowicz is offline

Default 2007 Merge Data becomes Read-only

I have users who use multiple merge files (Word 97-2003) attached to .doc
data sources. Users who have upgraded to Office 2007 now can not save changes
to the data source - they receive the message that the data file is
read-only, while 2003 users can save data. Does anyone know a solution or
workaround for this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

My guess (and that is all it is, as I cannot now test this scenario) is that
they will need to open the .doc data source, save it as .docx, then open
their Mail Merge Main document and connect to the .docx.

If they are sharing these data sourrces with users of other versions of
Word, that's not going to work anyway, but there's nothing I can do about
that.

Peter Jamieson

"Michael Jakubowicz" wrote in
message ...
I have users who use multiple merge files (Word 97-2003) attached to .doc
data sources. Users who have upgraded to Office 2007 now can not save
changes
to the data source - they receive the message that the data file is
read-only, while 2003 users can save data. Does anyone know a solution or
workaround for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Average PC GUY Average PC GUY is offline

I've been working on this problem now for two days. I haven't found anything
either. It seems when I move the document from the networked location to
local C: drive everything works, but it was working in Word2003 on the
network. Here is the error and steps I take: When I open the Mail Merge
Recipients, edit them, and then close the document it gives me this error.
"61CE2303.docx is a mail merge main document that is attached to a data
source list07.doc that has not been saved. Do you want to save list07.docx?
We I click yes.. it tells me the file is read-only. It's not... I've
installed patches...all the updates and everything else I can think of.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I reported this problem to Microsoft a couple of months ago and they were
able to reproduce the problem and submit whatever they submit - a request
for a fix to the product group, I think. So in other words Microsoft knows
about the problem, but precisely what they will do about it and when is
another question.

Peter Jamieson
"Average PC GUY" wrote in message
I've been working on this problem now for two days. I haven't found
anything
either. It seems when I move the document from the networked location to
local C: drive everything works, but it was working in Word2003 on the
network. Here is the error and steps I take: When I open the Mail Merge
Recipients, edit them, and then close the document it gives me this error.
"61CE2303.docx is a mail merge main document that is attached to a data
source list07.doc that has not been saved. Do you want to save
list07.docx?
We I click yes.. it tells me the file is read-only. It's not... I've
installed patches...all the updates and everything else I can think of.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Average PC GUY Average PC GUY is offline

Well it works in excel...go figure. I guess I'll convert all 100 of the
other ones to excel files. If I wait and hold my breath for microsoft's
answer...I'll probably be shaking hands with elvis.

Thanks for the replies