Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
rainbow1054

Default Disappearing headers and footers

I am using Word to produce reports, using a file which is emailed to me and
already includes some text, including a footer on every page. I then add my
own text including editing the footer. This all works fine and I can see the
footer displaying correctly in Print Preview.

However on the final page of the report I need to insert a quote, usually in
..rtf or Word doc format. I do this either by using cut and paste or from the
Insert menu, insert file command. When I do this I have discovered the
footer has disappeared from the document. I have tried Cutting and/or
deleting the file, and the footer magically reappears.

How can I stop this happening? I need to be able to insert the quote on the
last page and I don't understand why it is affecting the footer. I am using
Word 2002. with Windows XP. Very grateful for any advice or ideas
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?cmFpbmJvdzEwNTQ=?=,

However on the final page of the report I need to insert a quote, usually in
..rtf or Word doc format. I do this either by using cut and paste or from the
Insert menu, insert file command. When I do this I have discovered the
footer has disappeared from the document. I have tried Cutting and/or
deleting the file, and the footer magically reappears.

How can I stop this happening? I need to be able to insert the quote on the
last page and I don't understand why it is affecting the footer.

The header/footer is controlled by each document SECTION. Most documents you use
will have only the one section. But if a section break is inserted, and it's set
to NOT allow information from other footers to "leak" in, then the section
following that break will have different headers or footers.

Based on that, the most "obvious" explanation of what you're seeing is that
you're bringing across one or more section breaks when you import the data. There
are a couple of things you can do to test this premise:

1. Go into the Normal view. Activate all the options in Tools/Options/View for
non-printing characters. Do you see a ---- Section break ---- in there anywhere?

2. Copy the text, as you've done, then use Edit/Paste Special and choose the
entry "Plain text" to paste. Do you see any different result?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
rainbow1054

Thanks Cindy, you were right it was a section break issue. I have cured the
problem by inserting a Section Break (new page) after my text and before
inserting the quote. I've also made sure I am inserting a Word file rather
than Rich Text format file. Finally I've had to fiddle around with the Same
as Previous button in Headers and Footers to stop Word repeating the first
page footer (which was different from the rest) at the beginning of each
section.

I think I've got there now ... thanks for putting me on the right track.

Hi ?B?cmFpbmJvdzEwNTQ=?=,