Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RonFromSydney RonFromSydney is offline

Default Word Formatting variances between XP and 2003

Person has created a large formatted document on WordXP. The person has
recently upgraded to Word2003 and is now experiencing slight but numerous
formatting variances with the same document. They are avoiding reformatting.

Please advise.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You might want to check the Compatibility settings -- Tools - Options -
Compatibility tab. Those options can introduce a number of differences,
depending on how they're set.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"RonFromSydney" wrote in message
Person has created a large formatted document on WordXP. The person has
recently upgraded to Word2003 and is now experiencing slight but numerous
formatting variances with the same document. They are avoiding
reformatting.

Please advise.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Ron

And if I may add to what Herb said, don't forget that those Compatibility
settings are document-specific. If the user has more than one document with
the same problems, you should check each document's Compatibility settings.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
You might want to check the Compatibility settings -- Tools - Options -
Compatibility tab. Those options can introduce a number of differences,
depending on how they're set.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"RonFromSydney" wrote in message
Person has created a large formatted document on WordXP. The person has
recently upgraded to Word2003 and is now experiencing slight but numerous
formatting variances with the same document. They are avoiding
reformatting.

Please advise.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RonFromSydney RonFromSydney is offline

We've tested on various versions of Word 2003 (ie: different SPs), no luck.
Document is not problemmatic as it can be opened on any WordXp installation
with formatting intact. But because we are migrating from OfficeXp to
Office2003, I suspect that many more documents will be affected and that
reformatting large business documents will not be a popular solution. The
Word version we're using is: 11.8125.8122 SP2. We are probably 2 years away
from MS Office 2007 migration.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Ron

What exactly are the "slight but numerous formatting variances"? What
version(s) of Windows are you running?

Remember that a change in Windows means a change in printer driver, and that
can produce slight changes that affect how much content can fit on one line
and how much on one page.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

But the fact that the Compatibility Options travel with the document is
what
makes it even odder that they behave differently on different
machines/versions.

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RonFromSydney RonFromSydney is offline

Users have been re-creating documents instead. Not too bad as most have
required reformatting anyway due to the introduction for new styles.

Thank you for your assistance.