Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Scott Sornberger[_2_] Scott Sornberger[_2_] is offline

Default Outline Numbering Problems

Word 2003
I created a set of styles for 7 levels of outline numbering
1. "TEXT" (Number and Text are bold and all caps).
1.1. "TEXT" (No bold. Text is all caps)
1.1.1 "Text" (Text is as typed)
(On through 7 levels)
I did not use the basic choice since I needed different spacing of paragraph
start.

My problem is that when I attach the Template to a new or existing document
the styles are not as designed. Some of the Paragraphs have bold numbers of
bold text or bold capatilized text. Each document seems to do this
differently. I do not want to format this or correct formats on 30 doucments.

I attempted to post a few minutes ago and did not include the Word Version
and decided to add some explanation.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If the text is properly formatted with styles, you should be able to clear
direct formatting by selecting it and then pressing Ctrl+Q (clears
paragraph formatting) and Ctrl+SpaceBar (clears character formatting).

Note that you may find the following approach easier:

Make sure that your outline-numbered list is correctly set up in the
template (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...umbering.html). Then
create a new document based on the template. In the new document, insert the
existing document, whose format you want to change, via Insert | File.

Formatting should adjust to that of the target document. If it doesn't this
is a sign that there is direct formatting present. To get rid of it, proceed
as above.

On the other hand, if styles weren't applied to text in the source
(inserted) file, you will have to apply it to text manually.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Scott Sornberger" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Scott Sornberger[_2_] Scott Sornberger[_2_] is offline

Thanks Much. After I read and reviewed
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html I discovered
I made the list wrong. I tried to format each level from Format, Bullets and
Numbering, Customize - by going to each level of the list, not staying on the
first level of the list and working down. You won't believe the character
formatting and prargraph indent changes I saw with the approach I had used.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henk57[_160_] Henk57[_160_] is offline

;2542006']Thanks Much. After I read and reviewed

"Stefan Blom" wrote:
-
[...]

...-
[...]

Scott, note that to automatically format existing documents to your new
styles they must have the same style name for Word to recognise them.
Assuming it is not the case consistently for all yr 30 docs, you need
to assign yr styles to the appropriate level. You can do this
manually, but for long docs this is no fun. Therefore, use CTRL-H and
leave Find and Replace boxes empty, but under Format choose Style...
for both Find and Replace to change (say) Heading 1 by your style name
(say H1). Of course this doesnt work for documents that havent been up
with styles, and manually skimming through them (and assigning the
stiles to the heading paragraphs) is the only remedy. HTH

--
Henk57
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To add to what Henk says, if you do have to run through the document and tag
the styles manually, I find that this is one instance where the Styles task
pane comes in handy, as it stays open (unlike the Style dialog).

-