page x in footer of merged doc

Old March 24th 08, 07:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
cjlatta

Default page x in footer of merged doc

I've been reading some of the posts and have seen similar solutions using
SECTIONPAGES, but I'm not sure if that's truly the answer I need. I'm using
WinXP with Office 2003.
I have a merge doc that is a single page. It contains a table with several
lines. There is limited to no other text. The table contains the merge
fields. I can successfully do the merge and it prints great. However, since
it's only 1 page, I usually get pg. 1 of 1 (or pg. 1, pg. 2 ) on every
footer. The last time I used this document, there were 28 pages. Becasue of
the page numbering challenge, I usually hand-write each page number, but that
gets tedious.
How do I get the footer to say page 1, page 2, etc.? If the solution is
SECTIONPAGES, would you please include the 'how-to' in the reply?
Thanks in advance.
Old March 24th 08, 08:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Use a { Page } field in the footer and format the page number so that it
starts at 1, rather than Continue from previous Section. That should be the
default for a Form Letter type mail merge main document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Old March 24th 08, 09:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
cjlatta

Doug - thank you for the information. I think I understand most of your
instructions. I opened the footer and chose to insert a Field. I chose PAGE
from the list and then chose the format of 1,2,3.... Unfortunately, I still
just get page 1, page 1, page 1, etc. I know I'm missing a step - and I'm
sure it has to do with the Continue. I just don't know where to look for
that option (either to use or not use it). Sorry to be dense! I feel like
this is the right track, but I'm stuck.

Old March 25th 08, 01:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod

Hi cjlatta,

By default, the PAGE field resets to 1 for a merged document. If you want the page count to increment, you could:
.. change each footer to 'same as previous', but this could get tedious; or
.. simply insert a SECTION field instead of the PAGE field. Note that this will only work in this case because each Section consists
of only one page.

If you're wanting 'Page x of y' numbering, the 'y' part could be done with a NUMPAGES field.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]