OLE Issue

Old March 2nd 05, 12:37 AM
sumtop

Default OLE Issue

We have a lots of Word documents with embeded excel documents. Sometimes
when we open a Word document it gives us two prompts about updating the data
that is linked to Excel. If we say yes to both prompts then when we double
click on the Excel table in Word it say that it is already open and the we
may loss data. We can still open it and edit it, but why are we getting this
message? Why is the Excel sheet opening up before we click on it?
Old March 15th 05, 10:11 AM
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi =?Utf-8?B?c3VtdG9w?=,

We have a lots of Word documents with embeded excel documents. Sometimes
when we open a Word document it gives us two prompts about updating the data
that is linked to Excel. If we say yes to both prompts then when we double
click on the Excel table in Word it say that it is already open and the we
may loss data. We can still open it and edit it, but why are we getting this
message? Why is the Excel sheet opening up before we click on it?

Which version of Word is involved, here? Do you have any file/document
management or anti-virus software active? If you deactivate it, do you see
anything different?

Background: In Word 2003 and most recent version service packs new security
features disable automatic link updates. If you have this option activated in
Tools/Options/General you'll get a prompt about updating the fields. This is
normal behavior. When Word updates an OLE object, the server application is
opened in the background.

But after the update takes place, it should be closed. Something is apparently
preventing this, and the "usual suspects" would be programs that track files...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)