Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joseph Talbott[_2_] Joseph Talbott[_2_] is offline

Default Styleref - disappearing reference

I am using Word 2003 in a Windows XP Pro environment. I have a document which
uses the StyleRef field in the footers to assist the reader when navigating
the, rather large, document. On one page, in the middle of a lengthy section,
the StyleRef does not show the text referenced. All of the other footers in
the section show the text correctly (I am using odd and even pages and they
look great), there actually is text on the page using the referenced style
(although that shouldn't matter), and there isn't an "empty" or blank spot on
the page which has the referenced style assigned to it (I did a search on the
style and everything looked normal). I tried deleting and replacing the
StyleRef field and the referenced text with no success. Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you turn on Show Non-Printing Characters (Ctrl-Shift-8) and check
for empty paragraph marks?

On Mar 24, 4:08*pm, Joseph Talbott
wrote:
I am using Word 2003 in a Windows XP Pro environment. I have a document which
uses the StyleRef field in the footers to assist the reader when navigating
the, rather large, document. On one page, in the middle of a lengthy section,
the StyleRef does not show the text referenced. All of the other footers in
the section show the text correctly (I am using odd and even pages and they
look great), there actually is text on the page using the referenced style
(although that shouldn't matter), and there isn't an "empty" or blank spot on
the page which has the referenced style assigned to it (I did a search on the
style and everything looked normal). I tried deleting and replacing the
StyleRef field and the referenced text with no success. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

My experience has been that there *is* an empty paragraph or space or
*something* formatted with the style; it can be very elusive, however.

http://word.mvps.org

"Joseph Talbott" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joseph Talbott[_2_] Joseph Talbott[_2_] is offline

Thanks Suzanne. I agree that there *should* be an empty paragraph, space or
something formatted with the style but I can't find it. I have selected all
occurrences of the referenced style and counted them and have even gone so
far as to clear all assigned styles in the pages around the Styleref
placement (going from where it worked correctly before the broken connection
to where it worked correctly after it) and reassign the styles to make sure I
didn't miss anything. Nothing changed and the mystery remains. I am not going
to lose any sleep over it but I hate not being able to find a solution,
especially with a feature I use a lot.
Thanks again for weighing in on this one.
Joe

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joseph Talbott[_2_] Joseph Talbott[_2_] is offline

To close out this thread, Suzanne looked at the offending portion of my
document and determined that the missing text was tied up in Track Changes.
Once the changes were accepted (or probably deleted too) the StyleRef text
appeared normally. It was a great catch Suzanne.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Lasairfiona Lasairfiona is offline
Junior Member

I've registered and posted on an old thread because I want to say THANK YOU. I was fighting with a document for hours, feeling like I was going crazy because none of the many fixes I found were working. I'm not a fan of track changes so my usual view is no markup. By changing to full mark up and showing field codes with Alt+F9, I was able to accept the insertion and my document magically worked. For anyone in the future, I did have to view it as a field code to get the option to accept changes.

A few key words to help anyone in the future find this valuable answer:
StyleRef shows the same content across all sections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post