Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mindy Mindy is offline

Default Word 2007 - Locking Forms

Hello. I am trying to create a simple form in Word 2007. In the past versions
there was a simple lock icon that toggled on and off to lock the form. This
version seems to have this complicated feature for protection and I do not
necessarily want to do the protection feature by adding a password, but
simply want to lock the document so that you can tab across the fields to
fill out etc. I've searched help, but cannot find any such feature to simply
lock the form so that it is able to be sent out to people to tab and click
and complete the fields. Please help!!! Thank you.
--
Mindy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BoniM BoniM is offline

On the Developer tab, click Protect Document. Under Editing restrictions,
click Allow only this type of editing in the document: and then select
Filling in forms from the drop down list. Click the Yes, Start Enforcing
Protection button. You do not have to enter a password - just click OK to
accept without and your form is ready for use...
If you do not see the Developer tab, click the Office Button, Click the Word
Options button, and click the Show Developer tab in the ribbon option.

"Mindy" wrote:

Hello. I am trying to create a simple form in Word 2007. In the past versions
there was a simple lock icon that toggled on and off to lock the form. This
version seems to have this complicated feature for protection and I do not
necessarily want to do the protection feature by adding a password, but
simply want to lock the document so that you can tab across the fields to
fill out etc. I've searched help, but cannot find any such feature to simply
lock the form so that it is able to be sent out to people to tab and click
and complete the fields. Please help!!! Thank you.
--
Mindy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mindy Mindy is offline

Thanks. I actually did that but my Start Enforcing Protection button is
grayed out and no matter what I select it will not become available for me to
use it. Thanks.
--
Mindy

"Mindy" wrote:

Hello. I am trying to create a simple form in Word 2007. In the past versions
there was a simple lock icon that toggled on and off to lock the form. This
version seems to have this complicated feature for protection and I do not
necessarily want to do the protection feature by adding a password, but
simply want to lock the document so that you can tab across the fields to
fill out etc. I've searched help, but cannot find any such feature to simply
lock the form so that it is able to be sent out to people to tab and click
and complete the fields. Please help!!! Thank you.
--
Mindy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PamC PamC is offline

If you are using W2007's form tools, you can use the Group button to lock
everything but the fill-in controls. Note: I am not an expert on this. I
read about it and tried it out. It worked as described, but I have not
actually used it in a document (& probably won't until many more of my
clients are ALL W2007). I don't remember whether the tab will work as you
want it to.

Pam

"Mindy" wrote:

Hello. I am trying to create a simple form in Word 2007. In the past versions
there was a simple lock icon that toggled on and off to lock the form. This
version seems to have this complicated feature for protection and I do not
necessarily want to do the protection feature by adding a password, but
simply want to lock the document so that you can tab across the fields to
fill out etc. I've searched help, but cannot find any such feature to simply
lock the form so that it is able to be sent out to people to tab and click
and complete the fields. Please help!!! Thank you.
--
Mindy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mindy Mindy is offline

I'm not sure. I'm going under Developer and Controls and then using the
yellow folder that contains Legacy Forms and Active X Controls. I'm using the
Legacy Forms tools for just check boxes and fill-in fields. I see the group
option but that is also dimmed out. I tried holding the control key on the
keyboard and selecting a few of these form controls and the group still is
dimmed out.
--
Mindy

"Mindy" wrote:

Hello. I am trying to create a simple form in Word 2007. In the past versions
there was a simple lock icon that toggled on and off to lock the form. This
version seems to have this complicated feature for protection and I do not
necessarily want to do the protection feature by adding a password, but
simply want to lock the document so that you can tab across the fields to
fill out etc. I've searched help, but cannot find any such feature to simply
lock the form so that it is able to be sent out to people to tab and click
and complete the fields. Please help!!! Thank you.
--
Mindy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BoniM BoniM is offline

On the developer tab, click Design Mode to turn it off and that should make
your enforcing protection available.

"Mindy" wrote:

Hello. I am trying to create a simple form in Word 2007. In the past versions
there was a simple lock icon that toggled on and off to lock the form. This
version seems to have this complicated feature for protection and I do not
necessarily want to do the protection feature by adding a password, but
simply want to lock the document so that you can tab across the fields to
fill out etc. I've searched help, but cannot find any such feature to simply
lock the form so that it is able to be sent out to people to tab and click
and complete the fields. Please help!!! Thank you.
--
Mindy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

On the Developer tab make sure "Design Mode" isn't selected. If that's not
it, on the Mailings tab click "Start Mail Merge" and make sure the document
type is a "Normal Word Document".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

"Mindy" wrote:

Hello. I am trying to create a simple form in Word 2007. In the past
versions
there was a simple lock icon that toggled on and off to lock the form.
This
version seems to have this complicated feature for protection and I do
not
necessarily want to do the protection feature by adding a password, but
simply want to lock the document so that you can tab across the fields
fill out etc. I've searched help, but cannot find any such feature to
simply
lock the form so that it is able to be sent out to people to tab and
click
and complete the fields. Please help!!! Thank you.
--
Mindy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] queenb78@gmail.com is offline

"Mindy" wrote:

Hello. I am trying to create a simple form in Word 2007. In the past
versions
there was a simple lock icon that toggled on and off to lock the form..
This
version seems to have this complicated feature for protection and I do
not
necessarily want to do the protection feature by adding a password, but
simply want to lock the document so that you can tab across the fields
fill out etc. I've searched help, but cannot find any such feature to
simply
lock the form so that it is able to be sent out to people to tab and
click
and complete the fields. Please help!!! Thank you.
--
Mindy- Hide quoted text -

Hello, I have a question I need assistance with that is along the same
lines as the discussion you guys are having. I have created the fill
in fields with Word 2007, but I need to know if there is any way
possible to tab through the fields without having to lock the form?

Any assistance will be helpful.
Thanx.
Bobbie C
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

You could use F11 and Shift+F11 instead. Is there a reason you don't want to
lock the form?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wrote in message

Hello, I have a question I need assistance with that is along the same
lines as the discussion you guys are having. I have created the fill
in fields with Word 2007, but I need to know if there is any way
possible to tab through the fields without having to lock the form?

Any assistance will be helpful.
Thanx.
Bobbie C

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bobbie C Bobbie C is offline

wrote in message

Hello, I have a question I need assistance with that is along the same
lines as the discussion you guys are having. *I have created the fill
in fields with Word 2007, but I need to know if there is any way
possible to tab through the fields without having to lock the form?

Any assistance will be helpful.
Thanx.
Bobbie C

Thanks for the Assistance! I'll try it!

And regarding your question, when I presented this more efficient way
to complete our forms to my boss, she advised she does not want the
forms locked. She feels it would be too difficult for everyone to
remember how to unlock the forms in case any of the unhighlighted text
needs updating... An email with instructions could end up deleted and
I could be out of the office one day and would not be able to assist
in "unlocking" the form.

Bobbie C.