Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PhilG

Default Field and header

I am creating a template for use in my medical office. I want to have a form
where I will fill in a patient's name in the regular text area of the first
page of the document, but then want the same information in header of the
subsequent pages (pages 2 and onward). I named the text fields (LastName and
FirstName) on the first page and then put {Ref LastName} and {Ref FirstName}
in the header of the second page, but when I open the document I get error
messages in the header instead of the patients last and first names. What am
I doing wrong? I hope someone can help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

See: http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"PhilG" wrote:

I am creating a template for use in my medical office. I want to have a form
where I will fill in a patient's name in the regular text area of the first
page of the document, but then want the same information in header of the
subsequent pages (pages 2 and onward). I named the text fields (LastName and
FirstName) on the first page and then put {Ref LastName} and {Ref FirstName}
in the header of the second page, but when I open the document I get error
messages in the header instead of the patients last and first names. What am
I doing wrong? I hope someone can help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Use a StyleRef field.
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/S....htm#FormField will show you how.
I like this so much that I use it in my letterhead which is not a protected
form. It makes it much less likely that you will send something out with the
wrong person or date on the continuation page.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"PhilG" wrote in message
I am creating a template for use in my medical office. I want to have a
form
where I will fill in a patient's name in the regular text area of the
first
page of the document, but then want the same information in header of the
subsequent pages (pages 2 and onward). I named the text fields (LastName
and
FirstName) on the first page and then put {Ref LastName} and {Ref
FirstName}
in the header of the second page, but when I open the document I get error
messages in the header instead of the patients last and first names. What
am
I doing wrong? I hope someone can help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

If you want the REF field in the header to update and show the information
you need to use an update macro on exit from the form field. The required
code is at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm . The alternative is
to format the fields with unique character style names and use Styleref
fields to place their content.