Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pam Pam is offline

Default recovering file accidently replaced

After adding 8 pages to an existing 2 page document for a week 3 project, I
proceeded to start my week 4 notes. I apparently did not save Week three
before replacing it with my week 4 notes. I had autosave on (every 10
minutes) and had typed at least 2 hours. Can I retrieve what I overwrote
through autosave? I have not exited Word.

This was a lot of work and certainly there must be an earlier version saved
by autosave somewhere but I cannot locate it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Have you tried doing multiple Undos?

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"Pam" wrote in message
After adding 8 pages to an existing 2 page document for a week 3 project,
proceeded to start my week 4 notes. I apparently did not save Week three
before replacing it with my week 4 notes. I had autosave on (every 10
minutes) and had typed at least 2 hours. Can I retrieve what I overwrote
through autosave? I have not exited Word.

This was a lot of work and certainly there must be an earlier version
saved
by autosave somewhere but I cannot locate it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dian D. Chapman, MVP Dian D. Chapman, MVP is offline

You didn't have autosave one cos' there is no such animal in Word.
What you set was auto recovery. This saves system files in case of a
crash. But does NOT replace manually saving a file.

If you didn't save the file...it's history.

There are two types of computer people...those who save often (hit
Ctrl + S) and those who wished they did!

Dian D. Chapman
Technical Consultant, Microsoft MVP
MOS Certified Instructor, Editor/TechTrax Ezine
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Dian.Chapman

Free PC Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word Tricks eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 14:28:01 -0700, Pam
wrote:

After adding 8 pages to an existing 2 page document for a week 3 project, I
proceeded to start my week 4 notes. I apparently did not save Week three
before replacing it with my week 4 notes. I had autosave on (every 10
minutes) and had typed at least 2 hours. Can I retrieve what I overwrote
through autosave? I have not exited Word.

This was a lot of work and certainly there must be an earlier version saved
by autosave somewhere but I cannot locate it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Assuming the *document* is still open Copy what you've added (the week 4
stuff), paste into a new blank document & save it. Then do as JoAnn
suggested & Undo as far back as necessary.

If you have already Saved & Closed (or Closed without saving) the file even
with Word still running I'm afraid your chances of recovering anything are
slim to none.

Also - Word does not have an AutoSave feature. You are referring to the Save
Auto Recovery Data feature, which is a completely separate & distinct
matter. It only protects you in the event that Word or your document is
forced to shut down under adverse conditions. The auto recovery file _may_
be accessible but someone else will have to walk you through the process.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 7/7/07 5:28 PM, in article
, "Pam"
wrote:

After adding 8 pages to an existing 2 page document for a week 3 project, I
proceeded to start my week 4 notes. I apparently did not save Week three
before replacing it with my week 4 notes. I had autosave on (every 10
minutes) and had typed at least 2 hours. Can I retrieve what I overwrote
through autosave? I have not exited Word.

This was a lot of work and certainly there must be an earlier version saved
by autosave somewhere but I cannot locate it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Actually it does have an autosave, though it is not installed by default and
frankly I thing it would cause more problems than it solves -
http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm

wrote:

After adding 8 pages to an existing 2 page document for a week 3
project, I proceeded to start my week 4 notes. I apparently did not
save Week three before replacing it with my week 4 notes. I had
autosave on (every 10 minutes) and had typed at least 2 hours. Can I
retrieve what I overwrote through autosave? I have not exited Word.

This was a lot of work and certainly there must be an earlier
version saved by autosave somewhere but I cannot locate it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Well fancy that - although I tend to agree with your assessment. I had heard
mention of a "macro", but not that it was actually an "installable feature".
Thanks for the insight!

--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones