Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
newgrangevista newgrangevista is offline

Default Repeating records when making a label mail merge

Hi!

I'm under pressure with a task at the moment and I need to get this done as
and from yesterday.

I'm doing a Label mail merge on Avery L7651 labels
I have a database file with over 1,000 records in excel (name address etc.)
I need to print the Name & Address on the Labels for each record 15 times
after each other

i.e. from the database they appeare John Smith, Joe Smith, Bob Smith -- I
want each name and the rest of the record (address) to appear 12 times after
the first record, and then move on to the next record ===== John Smith, John
Smith, John Smith.......x12..... Joe Smith, Joe Smith.....x12 and so
on..........

Is this label mail merge possible in word?? Excel or any other MS Office
program
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
newgrangevista newgrangevista is offline

I would really appreciate any help anyone may be able to shed on this
problem!!!

Thanks a billion!!

"newgrangevista" wrote:

Hi!

I'm under pressure with a task at the moment and I need to get this done as
and from yesterday.

I'm doing a Label mail merge on Avery L7651 labels
I have a database file with over 1,000 records in excel (name address etc.)
I need to print the Name & Address on the Labels for each record 15 times
after each other

i.e. from the database they appeare John Smith, Joe Smith, Bob Smith -- I
want each name and the rest of the record (address) to appear 12 times after
the first record, and then move on to the next record ===== John Smith, John
Smith, John Smith.......x12..... Joe Smith, Joe Smith.....x12 and so
on..........

Is this label mail merge possible in word?? Excel or any other MS Office
program

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

As there are 65 labels on an Avery L7654 sheet, the number of labels that
you produce for each recipient is going to have to be 16 for 3/4 of the
records and 17 for the other 1/4

To do this, remove the NEXT RECORD field from the second through the
sixteenth label in the mail merge main document, and then from the 18th
through the 33rd and again from the 35th through the 50th and from the 52
throught the end of the sheet.

You must count the labels across and then down. That is, the 18th label
will be the third label in the fourth row.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"newgrangevista" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

While Doug's suggested method is the simpler and wastes only a few labels,
it should be possible to create a datasource with the correct number of
repeated records. The process is admittedly more complex.

First create a one row table with a column for each field you will need in
your label merge.

Merge your original data source into the table with the document type set as
Directory/Catalog to a new document. This will produce a table with one row
for each record.

Run the following macro on the merged doument.

Sub DuplicateRecords()
Dim sLabels As Long
Dim i As Variant
Dim x As Variant
sLabels = InputBox("How many labels for each record", "Labels", 15)
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows(1).Select
For i = 1 To ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows.Count
With Selection
.SelectRow
.Copy
For x = 1 To sLabels - 1
.Paste
Next x
.MoveDown unit:=wdLine
End With
Next i
End Sub

This will create the appropriate number of records for a conventional label
merge. Add a new row to thew top of the table and apply fieldnames to match
the data (the table should ens up looking like that in
http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm )

Save the document and use this document as a data source for your label
merge.