sshelton

Default How can I synchronize footnotes with a bibliography in Word?

In Word, it is possible to synchronize the footnotes in a research paper with
a bibliography? If so, how can this be accomplished? I have Word 2002.
Daiya Mitchell

In Word, it is possible to synchronize the footnotes in a research paper with
a bibliography? If so, how can this be accomplished? I have Word 2002.

1) you need to explain what you mean by this.

2) Every reference style manual I know has different formatting required for
footnotes and bibliography, so I don't see how you would want them
synchronized.

3) Word has no built-in features for dealing with the actual content of
bibliographies and notes, that is all left up to the user. About all Word
will do is place and number the notes.

Nevertheless, there might be something to suggest to make your life easier,
if it were clear what you needed.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

sshelton

1) you need to explain what you mean by this.

Let me attempt to explain what I am talking about:

I saw a M.A. student changing the date in one of her footnotes in her
thesis. I then watched her check the related item in her bibliography. The
date had been changed there simultaneously. were linked so if a change were
made in one, it was also made in the other.

2) Every reference style manual I know has different formatting required for
footnotes and bibliography, so I don't see how you would want them
synchronized.

It is true that the formatting for a footnote is different than that of a
bibliographic citation. Could it be that there is some sort of macro that is
created to place data in various fields, so that when the footnote data is
changed in the date field, for example, the date field in the bibliographic
citation is changed as well?

3) Word has no built-in features for dealing with the actual content of
bibliographies and notes, that is all left up to the user. About all Word
will do is place and number the notes.

Nevertheless, there might be something to suggest to make your life easier,
if it were clear what you needed.

The issue that it takes so much time to key in both bibliographies and
footnotes. Why couldn't there be some sort of macro that could automatically
change the formatting from one to the other.

Thanks for your help.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

In Word, it is possible to synchronize the footnotes in a research paper with
a bibliography? If so, how can this be accomplished? I have Word 2002.

1) you need to explain what you mean by this.

2) Every reference style manual I know has different formatting required for
footnotes and bibliography, so I don't see how you would want them
synchronized.

3) Word has no built-in features for dealing with the actual content of
bibliographies and notes, that is all left up to the user. About all Word
will do is place and number the notes.

Nevertheless, there might be something to suggest to make your life easier,
if it were clear what you needed.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

In this case the student was probably using a reference management add-in
such as EndNote.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

[...]

What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Daiya Mitchell

I saw a M.A. student changing the date in one of her footnotes in her
thesis. I then watched her check the related item in her bibliography. The
date had been changed there simultaneously. were linked so if a change were
made in one, it was also made in the other.

Never seen anything like that. And actually, I'm not sure EndNote etc work
that way, either. Conceivably it was an IncludeText field, except that
doesn't really make that much sense. Possibly a Ref field could do it,
except easier to get the date right in the first place than to set up the
fields for every title. Ask the MA student how she did it and let us know.

It is true that the formatting for a footnote is different than that of a
bibliographic citation. Could it be that there is some sort of macro that is
created to place data in various fields, so that when the footnote data is
changed in the date field, for example, the date field in the bibliographic
citation is changed as well?

Why couldn't there be some sort of macro that could automatically
change the formatting from one to the other.

Indeed. There is some sort of macro that does this. It's called
third-party bibliographic management software, the big three are EndNote,
ProCite, and Reference Manager, and they store the date fields (etc) in
their program and then update the fields in the document wherever
appropriate, and will easily switch from, e.g., MLA to APA style citing.
Student price is about $100. I can't imagine MS will ever consider it a
good business decision to include this in Word, but hey, you never know.
The web might turn up some cheaper programs that do this.