David Tilman

Default Convert Word XP docs to Word 2003

I have some Word documents created in Word XP that won't open in Word 2003
(get insufficient memory error). I tried opening one of the files in Word XP
on a test system and it opened fine. I have the latest service pack and
hotfixes installed for Word 2003 related to this problem, but it still
occurs. The Word XP application won't always be available to copy and paste
from the older version to the newer version. Is there a tool that will
convert a Word XP doc file to a Word 2003 version or any other solution
available?
Shauna Kelly

Hi David

Try re-booting the computer and open Word, but no other applications (just
to ensure that you have as much memory as possible available).

Then, in Word, do File Open and navigate to your file. Next to the Open
button on the File Open dialog box is a little arrow. Click it and choose
Open and Repair. That might manage to open the file.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"David Tilman" wrote in message
I have some Word documents created in Word XP that won't open in Word 2003
(get insufficient memory error). I tried opening one of the files in Word
XP
on a test system and it opened fine. I have the latest service pack and
hotfixes installed for Word 2003 related to this problem, but it still
occurs. The Word XP application won't always be available to copy and
paste
from the older version to the newer version. Is there a tool that will
convert a Word XP doc file to a Word 2003 version or any other solution
available?

David Tilman

Thank you for the repsonse. I guess I should have mentioned all of the
troubleshooting steps I've tried. I had already tried the "Open and Repair"
option and I've tested opening the file on about 4 different computers,
including one of my test computers without Antivirus software (I read that
can have an affect). The computers have plenty of free memory. The file does
open fine in Word XP, but not Word 2003, so it seems to be a file
compatibility problem. I have copied and pasted the entire document from Word
XP to Word 2003 and saved it in Word 2003, which solves the problem, but the
user won't have the older version of Word to do this trick.

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

Shauna Kelly

Hi David

For what it's worth, I've moved lots and lots of documents back and forth
between Word 2000, XP and 2003 with very few problems.

If this were my document, I'd assume that there is something wrong with the
document itself, and I'd follow the steps at:
How can I recover a corrupt document or template - and why did it become
corrupt?
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

Other than that, I don't think I can help you further. Someone else may be
along with a further idea.

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

Convert Word 2003 documents to WordPerfect formate Carol Microsoft Word Help 6 March 9th 06 07:11 AM
Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Convert Word 6.0 files to work in Word 2003 RogerEllman Microsoft Word Help 2 April 9th 05 09:27 AM