Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sharon M.

Default Updating fields and links before printing ...

Hi folks,

I am developing a template user guide and have made extensive use of form
fields for user input. On the front page of the guide I have included form
fields for Document type, Document title, Document Sub-title, Name of
company, Name of Department. All of these are defined with a Style name and I
use StyleRef fields throughout the document to have the text auto-filled from
the entries on the cover.

This is my question: As soon as I have completed the front cover I notice
that the Title and Sub-title are automatically included in the header BUT not
in the body of the text. Also, none of the other fields are included until I
press Print Preview. The only help I can find in Word is what I have done
already, namely check Update Fields and Update links under Tools/ Options.

Is this normal? If yes, and the user must do something, is there a better
option than Print Preview?

I am using Word XP. Thanks for any enlightenment!

Sharon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

PrintPreview is a backdoor way to update fields in a document. If you are
using FormFields, run a macro to run OnExit from the formfields. If all your
reference fields are in the body of the document, use

ActiveDocument.Content.Fields.Update

Since your information is coming from FormFields, it might be better to use
REF fields elsewhere rather than StyleRef fields: the REF fields *has* to
display the contents of the formfield; while there's nothing to prevent your
styles being used elsewhere, in which case the StyleRef field will display
the wrong information.

"Sharon M." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sharon M.

Hi again Jezebel,

Thanks for that info. I don't really want to include a macro as the template
will be distributed in many locations. Also, a number of the users will be
novice and I don't want to risk any mishaps. I think then that I will stay
with the "back door" method. :-)

Just curious though ... what is the purpose of setting the Update Fields and
Update Links in the Options?

S.

"Sharon M." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Better than print preview is ctrl-A, F9 (select all, update fields)

The Update Fields and Update Links options are intended to control whether
fields and linked content are updated when you print the document.
Interpretation of this seems to vary -- some fields seem to update anyway;
and it seems to me that print preview should observe these settings also
(ie, NOT update if the checkbox is clear) but it seems to update regardless.

"Sharon M." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sharon M.

Hi Jezebel,

That's *exactly* what I was looking for!! :-)

There I was ... I couldn't see the trees for the woods! F9 was the obvious
choice but powerless without the CTRL+A.

Although Print Preview did the trick I wasn't 100% happy with it as I really
want to keep the instructions as simple as possible for the template users.

THANKS!

Sharon M.

"Sharon M." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Bear in mind the ctrl-A option updates fields only in the body of the
document, not in headers and footers, textboxes, etc.

"Sharon M." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sharon M.

Yep! I learned that one the hard way i.e. before seeing this response (as
evidenced by my late return to the site)! I am rating this post as helpful to
assist the myriad other frustrated users. :-)

Thanks again,

Sharon

"Sharon M." wrote in message
[...]

How do I change the source for multiple links at once in Word? aga Microsoft Word Help 2 November 10th 05 10:01 PM
need help troubleshooting links Carol Microsoft Word Help 0 November 8th 05 02:12 PM
REF fields Erica Lais New Users 5 October 19th 05 05:28 PM
Fields not updating in header M P Microsoft Word Help 1 September 6th 05 05:29 PM
Automatic update of fields and links swolfearch Microsoft Word Help 0 September 1st 05 06:43 PM