Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lois Lois is offline

Default Sharing a global template

I'm attempting to share my normal.dot template. I want to share my styles,
which would include certain toolbars and special auto-text.

Idealy, I would place it on the server and "download" my version onto
another computer. I've looked into using Zipgenius and I've been trying to
figure out this global template thing. Nothing works. Any Suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Suggestion: don't do it.

You can distribute your normal.dot (do a google on distributing templates),
but you can't share it. And even that is usually a waste of time: most users
don't use styles and autotext anyway, so you're wasting your time with them;
and the rest will have tweaked their own normal.dot so they won't want
yours.

"Lois" wrote in message
I'm attempting to share my normal.dot template. I want to share my styles,
which would include certain toolbars and special auto-text.

Idealy, I would place it on the server and "download" my version onto
another computer. I've looked into using Zipgenius and I've been trying to
figure out this global template thing. Nothing works. Any Suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Normal.dot is in individual user file. It must not be shared
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811468
Use shared document templates for document styles, toolbars and the autotext
entries that apply to them (or shared global add-in templates for universal
autotexts/toolbars).

Lois wrote:
I'm attempting to share my normal.dot template. I want to share my
styles, which would include certain toolbars and special auto-text.

Idealy, I would place it on the server and "download" my version onto
another computer. I've looked into using Zipgenius and I've been
trying to figure out this global template thing. Nothing works. Any
Suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

Do not share normal.dot. Period.

See http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for step-by-step
instructions on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up customizations
including AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments, toolbars, macros,
etc.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Lois" wrote in message
I'm attempting to share my normal.dot template. I want to share my styles,
which would include certain toolbars and special auto-text.

Idealy, I would place it on the server and "download" my version onto
another computer. I've looked into using Zipgenius and I've been trying to
figure out this global template thing. Nothing works. Any Suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lois Lois is offline

Thank you for the replies and link. The reason that I believed that sharing
the normal.dot template was okay was because a year ago my computer IT guy
saved zipgenius onto a shared network drive. I would update my personal
normal.dot file drage it into zipgenius replacingthe previously saved
normal.dot template already saved in zipgenius. I would then instruct all my
coworkers to drag the new normal.dot template onto their computers, so that
they would have access to my updates. In no way did we experience any
problems.

I did some research on a website that I should use macros but my attempts
did not copy the auto-text entries in the exact format that I had initially
created. If there was a better way to do this with a global template I'm
done with that.

I'm lost and I need help with this, so thank you again for assisting me.

"Lois" wrote in message
I'm attempting to share my normal.dot template. I want to share my styles,
which would include certain toolbars and special auto-text.

Idealy, I would place it on the server and "download" my version onto
another computer. I've looked into using Zipgenius and I've been trying to
figure out this global template thing. Nothing works. Any Suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

Look at the link.

You can share everthing you want to share. You just should not do it by
sharing normal.dot. You can have other global templates that are not
normal.dot.
--

"Lois" wrote in message
I'm attempting to share my normal.dot template. I want to share my
styles,
which would include certain toolbars and special auto-text.

Idealy, I would place it on the server and "download" my version onto
another computer. I've looked into using Zipgenius and I've been trying
figure out this global template thing. Nothing works. Any Suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Actually that type of use is not sharing normal.dot as each worker will
still have his/her own normal.dot after copying yours, but it is a poor use
of normal.dot as it does not allow for the user personalisations that are
stored in normal.dot so everyone has to work to your standards which may or
may not be as efficient as their own. There are better ways of sharing
standards as have been discussed.