Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kurt Kurt is offline

Default Help in formatting outline-type numbered lists in Word 2007

Please note this inquiry is not about Outline view, it is about preparing
outline-type numbered lists. It is not about Word 2003; it is about Word
2007.

I want to be able to type outlines that number the different levels
appropriately and automatically. The default in Word 2007 seems to be if I
enter a Roman Numeral I at the beginning of a line, it will outline; and when
I hit return, I get an immediate Roman Numeral II. But if I hit Tab, instead
of getting A. I get a. How do I teach Word 2007 to correctly sequence
through I. A. 1. a. (i) for this autmoatic feature?

Next: if I use the "MultiLevel List" icon it doesn't automatically number
each line as I go; how do I get it to do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?S3VydA==?=,

Please note this inquiry is not about Outline view, it is about preparing
outline-type numbered lists. It is not about Word 2003; it is about Word
2007.

I want to be able to type outlines that number the different levels
appropriately and automatically. The default in Word 2007 seems to be if I
enter a Roman Numeral I at the beginning of a line, it will outline; and when
I hit return, I get an immediate Roman Numeral II. But if I hit Tab, instead
of getting A. I get a. How do I teach Word 2007 to correctly sequence
through I. A. 1. a. (i) for this autmoatic feature?

Next: if I use the "MultiLevel List" icon it doesn't automatically number
each line as I go; how do I get it to do this?

If you click on the arrow next to the Multilevel List icon you'll see different
list types you can choose from. What you get depends on what you choose :-)

I'm guessing you selected a pre-defined list where, next to the numbers, you see
"Heading 1", "Heading 2", etc. That means this numbering is linked to these
styles. And these styles are defined to use a "normal" paragraph as the next
paragraph when you press Enter. This behavior will only be different if you're
working in the Outline view.

You basically have two options: 1. You can change the definitions of the Heading
styles to use the same style (or a different one) by default when Enter is
pressed. 2. You can define your own numbering list (possibly one that doesn't
link to paragraph styles) or modify an existing one.

Try clicking on "Define new multilevel list", below the gallery entries. For
each level (bar running down the left) you plan to use, choose the number style
and set the format. Then adjust the position settings.

Your list should now show up in the Gallery, above (and below) the built-in
ones.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hi Kurt:

You have to fight your way down below the ribbon icons and reveal the old
FormatNumber controls. Then it works just like Word 2003 does.

See Shauna Kelly's website for mo www.shaunakelly.com...

On 29/1/07 3:32 AM, in article
, "Kurt"
wrote:

Please note this inquiry is not about Outline view, it is about preparing
outline-type numbered lists. It is not about Word 2003; it is about Word
2007.

I want to be able to type outlines that number the different levels
appropriately and automatically. The default in Word 2007 seems to be if I
enter a Roman Numeral I at the beginning of a line, it will outline; and when
I hit return, I get an immediate Roman Numeral II. But if I hit Tab, instead
of getting A. I get a. How do I teach Word 2007 to correctly sequence
through I. A. 1. a. (i) for this autmoatic feature?

Next: if I use the "MultiLevel List" icon it doesn't automatically number
each line as I go; how do I get it to do this?

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410