giddne

Default MailMerge error

Using a .csv spreadsheet for envelopes - 86 records. When I merge, I get an
error message stating "record 32 contained too few data fields" - I must hit
OK and then it says the same thing up to record 86. As I look at the
spreadsheet, there are columns, which I am not merging, which are empty but
not the columns I am merging. They all have data present. Any ideas?
Thanks for your help!
Graham Mayor

A csv format file is not a spreadsheet, but a comma delimited text file, and
it seems that in the quoted records a comma is missing. The merge requires
all the 'columns' to be correct, not merely those you are merging. The
simplest plan is to open the csv file in Word and convert the text to a
table - see the relevant part of
http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

giddne wrote:
Using a .csv spreadsheet for envelopes - 86 records. When I merge, I
get an error message stating "record 32 contained too few data
fields" - I must hit OK and then it says the same thing up to record
86. As I look at the spreadsheet, there are columns, which I am not
merging, which are empty but not the columns I am merging. They all
have data present. Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

giddne

Thanks Graham. Originally it was an Excel file but I converted it to .csv on
the recommendation of a friend. I could never get it to merge because I kept
getting an error message - "Word could not re-establish a DDE connection to
excel to complete the task". Is there a way I could use the .xls file
without converting it? Would certainly make it easier. Thanks for your time
and input!