Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Patrick Riley Patrick Riley is offline

Default Widen Header area w/o affecting text area

In a section, I want to widen the Header area horizontally (left-to-right),
without widening the text area in the main body of the document. Is there a
way to do this?
From within the Header, I tried grabbing the triangular-shaped guide (or
whatever it's called) on the ruler, but doing so widened the text area as
well.
PatR
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You can add negative indent(s) to header text.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Patrick Riley" wrote in message
In a section, I want to widen the Header area horizontally
(left-to-right),
without widening the text area in the main body of the document. Is there
way to do this?
From within the Header, I tried grabbing the triangular-shaped guide (or
whatever it's called) on the ruler, but doing so widened the text area as
well.
PatR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Patrick Riley Patrick Riley is offline

I tried this, and it worked!. I may have to do this to several sections, and
I presume that I can use this procedure with the header in each section in
which I need to do it.
Thank you, Stefan, for helping me out.
---PatR

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

You can add negative indent(s) to header text.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Patrick Riley" wrote in message
In a section, I want to widen the Header area horizontally
(left-to-right),
without widening the text area in the main body of the document. Is there
way to do this?
From within the Header, I tried grabbing the triangular-shaped guide (or
whatever it's called) on the ruler, but doing so widened the text area as
well.
PatR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Patrick Riley Patrick Riley is offline

Suzanne:
[ Oh, forgot to mention: I'm using Word 2002. ]
I tried Stefan's method in one section, and it worked. I went into the
header, then selected Format Paragraph, and under "Indentation", I typed in
-1 and it worked; then tried -.5, and that worked, too.
I think the margin markers are the facing triangular shapes, but I'm not
sure I know what the "indent markers" on the ruler are. What do they look
like?
---PatR
P.S. I read a number of your posts on the discussion groups about headers
and footers, and found them enlightening. It's great that individuals such
as yourself share your knowledge with those of us are abysmally ignorant of
Word's intricacies (and basics).
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

As Stefan says, you do this with negative indents. You can do this on the
ruler; just be sure you're grabbing the indent markers rather than the
margin markers.

"Patrick Riley" wrote in message
In a section, I want to widen the Header area horizontally
(left-to-right),
without widening the text area in the main body of the document. Is there
way to do this?
From within the Header, I tried grabbing the triangular-shaped guide (or
whatever it's called) on the ruler, but doing so widened the text area as
well.
PatR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The indent markers are the small triangles on the ruler. You can tell where
the margin area start because it has a different color. Rest the mouse
pointer on an indent marker; you will see in a screen tip what kind of
indent you can set with that particular marker. When the mouse pointer is on
a margin marker, it will display as a double arrow.

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

As Stefan says, you do this with negative indents. You can do this on the
ruler; just be sure you're grabbing the indent markers rather than the
margin markers.

"Patrick Riley" wrote in message
In a section, I want to widen the Header area horizontally
(left-to-right),
without widening the text area in the main body of the document. Is
there
way to do this?
From within the Header, I tried grabbing the triangular-shaped guide
(or
whatever it's called) on the ruler, but doing so widened the text area
as
well.
PatR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Patrick Riley Patrick Riley is offline

May I ask a different question that came up. How can I delete a section?
What kind of loss of settings will occur? And how can I change a section
type, say from Next Page to Odd Page?
The answers you and Stefan have given me have been very beneficial, and I
thank the two of you, again.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

As Stefan says, you do this with negative indents. You can do this on the
ruler; just be sure you're grabbing the indent markers rather than the
margin markers.

"Patrick Riley" wrote in message
In a section, I want to widen the Header area horizontally
(left-to-right),
without widening the text area in the main body of the document. Is there
way to do this?
From within the Header, I tried grabbing the triangular-shaped guide (or
whatever it's called) on the ruler, but doing so widened the text area as
well.
PatR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

For the "bible" on this, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...thSections.htm. The bottom line
is that, in order to delete a section break without affecting the formatting
of the preceding section, you need to duplicate that section's formatting in
the following section (so they're the same) before deleting the break. The
section break stores page formatting (page size and orientation, margins,
number of columns, header and footer, watermark, and the like). Changing the
section type from Next Page to Odd Page (which you can do on the Layout tab
of Page Setup) won't affect anything except the numbering of the following
page (if the preceding section ends on an odd page and Word inserts a blank
even one).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

As Stefan says, you do this with negative indents. You can do this on the
ruler; just be sure you're grabbing the indent markers rather than the
margin markers.

"Patrick Riley" wrote in message
In a section, I want to widen the Header area horizontally
(left-to-right),
without widening the text area in the main body of the document. Is
there
way to do this?
From within the Header, I tried grabbing the triangular-shaped guide
(or