laralea

Default File opening read-only & file locked by XXX user prompt

Word 2003, WinXp
Word file opens read-only. Suspect that another user has the document open,
but there is no prompt, "file locked by xxxx user". Cleaned out temp files
from folder and system, which did not fix the problem. After several tries,
it cleared up on it's own.
Questions: In Word 2003, should the user get the prompt? If so, why did user
not get it if another user had the file open?
Thanks!

Shauna Kelly

Hi

The following may help:
I keep getting files that I am working on locked for editing. Word only
allows me to open them read-only
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/LockedFiles.htm
Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"laralea" wrote in message
Word 2003, WinXp
Word file opens read-only. Suspect that another user has the document
open,
but there is no prompt, "file locked by xxxx user". Cleaned out temp
files
from folder and system, which did not fix the problem. After several
tries,
it cleared up on it's own.
Questions: In Word 2003, should the user get the prompt? If so, why did
user
not get it if another user had the file open?
Thanks!

laralea

Thanks Shauna, I had already seen the locked files page; The user wanted to
know why she didn't get the "locked by XXX user" message, which sometimes
tells who has the file open.