Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Telegraphy

Default Footnote Number Fonts

How can I increase the font size of all of my footnote numbers at once from
New Courier 8 to New Courier 10 while leaving the font of adjacent footnote
text alone? Here is my problem: when I moved from Word 2000 to Word 2003,
my footnote numbers in my large document lightened up in appearance, both in
the text and at the bottom of my lengthy documents pages. I want to remedy
this by increasing the font size of the 1500+ footnote numbers alone. I do
not want to increase the font size of the footnote text because to do so
would make that text the same size as the text in the document, which is New
Courier 9. Those who have worked with footnotes know that footnote numbers
are already a couple of font sizes smaller than the text that follows them,
even when by default they are understood by Word to be the same font. Thus,
increasing the size of all footnote numbers alone and at once would produce a
handsome and visually useful result. Thanks in advance for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Herb Tyson [MVP]

Footnote text is controlled by a style named "Footnote text". The reference
mark, i.e., the footnote numbers themselves (both at the beginning of the
footnote and in the body of the document), are controlled by the style named
"Footnote reference". Hence, you can accomplish the stated goal by
increasing the font point size assigned to that style.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Telegraphy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Telegraphy

Hello Mr. Tyson,

Thanks for your advice. While I understand what you mean by Footnote
Reference, as opposed to Footnote Text, I regret to say that I have not been
able to implement your advice successfully. Please post step by step
instructions. Thanks so much.

Telegraphy

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie

Step-by-step instructions are in your Word help file, and also at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...895621033.aspx .

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Telegraphy

Hello Folks,

Thanks for the advice here as well, but I still cannot change the 1500+
footnote numbers by themselves at once without also changing footnote text.
Intuitively, I think the problem is in "Formatting of Selected Text" in the
box just below "Styles and Formatting." How do I select (highlight) just the
numbers in the footnotes? "Selecting All" also selects (highlights) text,
whether I have done so via "Footnote Reference" or "Footnote Text." Can one
"Select All" and only highlight the footnote numbers?

Here is another issue: under "New Style" I cannot get "Numbering" to
activate when "Character" is selected from the options of "Paragraph,"
"Character," "Table," or "List." Only under "Character" is the option
"Footnote Reference" available.

Please advise. Thanks.

Telegraphy

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The Footnote Reference style is a character style; that is, it defines only
the font and font size of the text it is applied to. Like direct font
formatting, it changes the text to which it is applied from the Default
Paragraph Font for the paragraph style. When Footnote Reference is defined
(as it is by default) as Default Paragraph Font + Superscript, then it will
superscript any text to which it is applied, whether that is 10-point TNR or
16-point Arial. If you define it as being a specific font or font size, you
will lose this flexibility.