Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
charles thiesen charles thiesen is offline

Default Page numbering by heading

I have a document divided by headings starting with a Roman Numeral main
heads, with numbered chapter heads under those. Pages are numbered
according to the chapter number.

This creates a problem in the index because the Roman Numeral Head shows up
as in the previous chapter like this when both are on the same page:

V. Something 26-1
27. Sub something 27-1

Is there any way to fix this besides manually editing the index every time
I generate it?

thanks,
- charles
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I assume by "index" you mean a table of contents (TOC). Have you thought of
just omitting page numbers for the section headings since they always appear
on the same page as the next chapter heading?

charles wrote in message ...
I have a document divided by headings starting with a Roman Numeral main
heads, with numbered chapter heads under those. Pages are numbered
according to the chapter number.

This creates a problem in the index because the Roman Numeral Head shows
up
as in the previous chapter like this when both are on the same page:

V. Something 26-1
27. Sub something 27-1

Is there any way to fix this besides manually editing the index every time
I generate it?

thanks,
- charles

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
charles charles is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in
:

I assume by "index" you mean a table of contents (TOC). Have you
thought of just omitting page numbers for the section headings since
they always appear on the same page as the next chapter heading?

Suzanne,

Thanks so much for the quick and helpful reply. Yes I did mean TOC. Sorry.
And this is a way to solve the problem.

thanks again,
- charles
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
charles charles is offline

Ooops, I thought it would be obvious, but I can't figure out how to omit
page numbers for those headings and still have them in the TOC. Did you
mean remove them from the TOC entirely?

thanks,
- charles

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in
:

I assume by "index" you mean a table of contents (TOC). Have you
thought of just omitting page numbers for the section headings since
they always appear on the same page as the next chapter heading?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
charles charles is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in
:

Ah, I figured you'd be back. g You need an \n switch in the TOC
field; see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm for details.

Brilliant AND psychic. A scary combination. Thanks, looks like just what I
needed.

- charles`
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Nah, not psychic, just aware that my first post didn't provide all the info
you needed (I was in a hurry).

charles wrote in message ...
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in
: