xfile

Default how to view HTML source code in Word 2003

Hi,

When doing HTML files in Word 2003, is there a way to view HTML source
codes?

I tried to view source codes in Word 2003 and it turned out to use debugging
tool.

Many thanks.

Margaret Aldis

No, no way to view the HTML because it is created afresh when you save the
document as HTML - and a sorry mess a lot of it is too. Note that this also
means that if you tweak (correct) the HTML file with a text editor and then
reopen it in Word you are likely lose those changes when you save again.

Using Word to create Web pages is generally a hiding to nowhere - certainly
if you care at all about the HTML code at least choose an editor that gives
you a code view and won't change your code.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"xfile" wrote in message
Hi,

When doing HTML files in Word 2003, is there a way to view HTML source
codes?

I tried to view source codes in Word 2003 and it turned out to use
debugging tool.

Many thanks.

Robert

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 17:21:39 +0800, xfile wrote:

Hi,

When doing HTML files in Word 2003, is there a way to view HTML source
codes?

I tried to view source codes in Word 2003 and it turned out to use debugging
tool.

Many thanks.

Greetings--
The Word 2003 "View" main menu has a "HTML Source Code" command.
--
Cheers
Robert
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

The MS Script Editor is the tool that Word 2000, 2002 and 2003
use to show the HTML/XML source for all MS Word documents.
(I'm assuming that's the 'debugging' tool you saw)

You can also edit the document directly there (handy for those
who want a WordPerfect reveal code like interface g).

It's an optional install feature, accessed by using Alt+Shft+F11
or Tools=Macro=Microsoft Script Editor (when installed).
If it's not listed you can install it as one of the features
for Microsoft Word/Office from Add/Remove Programs in the Windows
Control panel.

======
"xfile" wrote in message ...
Hi,

When doing HTML files in Word 2003, is there a way to view HTML source
codes?

I tried to view source codes in Word 2003 and it turned out to use debugging
tool.

Many thanks.
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Another way to view the HTML source is to choose Tools - Options - General
and enable Confirm Conversion at Open. Then, when you open the file, tell
Word that it's a plain text file rather than an HTML file.

In either case (using the Script Editor or treating the file as text), you
won't see instantaneous changes to the resulting displayed HTML file. If you
want that kind of functionality in a Microsoft product, you'd need to use
FrontPage.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
"xfile" wrote in message
Hi,

When doing HTML files in Word 2003, is there a way to view HTML source
codes?

I tried to view source codes in Word 2003 and it turned out to use
debugging tool.

Many thanks.

xfile

Hi,

Many thanks for all replies and yes, that's script editor for which I saw.

I am too accustomed to the look-and-feel of FrontPage for the coding page
and was somehow, felt uncomfortable with the one in Word.

The only reason that I wish to use Word and not FP or other web editing tool
is that I wish to use Mail Merge function which is not available from FP.

So I have to switch back and forth between our web edition using FP and the
newsletter to be delivered by Word and Outlook.

The problem can be easily solved if MS add a mail merge function (at least
for e-mail HTML files) to FP but that will be a long waiting.

Again, many thanks to all of you.