Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default =RAND()

I am using Word to document some Excel spreadsheets. In Excel
=RAND()
is a valid formula. When I enter this my my document, Word converts it into
gibberish.

How do I disable this feature?
--
Gary's Student
gsnu200702
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Luc Luc is offline

Gary,
Have a look he
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/DummyText.htm

--
Luc Sanders
(MVP - PowerPoint)
I am using Word to document some Excel spreadsheets. In Excel
=RAND()
is a valid formula. When I enter this my my document, Word converts it
into
gibberish.

How do I disable this feature?
--
Gary's Student
gsnu200702

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Thank you Luc for your assisstance.

While the link did not explain how to disable this feature it suggested a
good work-around
--
Gary's Student
gsnu200702

"Luc" wrote:

Gary,
Have a look he
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/DummyText.htm

--
Luc Sanders
(MVP - PowerPoint)
"Gary''s Student" schreef in
bericht ...
I am using Word to document some Excel spreadsheets. In Excel
=RAND()
is a valid formula. When I enter this my my document, Word converts it
into
gibberish.

How do I disable this feature?
--
Gary's Student
gsnu200702

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

I made an experiment and found a method that seems to disable - or maybe
rather replace - the €śfeature€ť: I created an AutoCorrect entry (Tools
AutoCorrect options) and entered €ś=rand()€ť in both the €śReplace€ť and €śWith€ť
fields.

However, I you want to be able to enable the €śfeature€ť again, you may not
want to use that method - it seems as if it is gone even if the AutoCorrect
entry is deleted (so who knows, I may regret that I tried...).

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Luc" wrote:

Gary,
Have a look he
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/DummyText.htm

--
Luc Sanders
(MVP - PowerPoint)
"Gary''s Student" schreef in
bericht ...
I am using Word to document some Excel spreadsheets. In Excel
=RAND()
is a valid formula. When I enter this my my document, Word converts it
into
gibberish.

How do I disable this feature?
--
Gary's Student
gsnu200702

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Thank you for your help. I'll take your advice. If I loose the "feature"
forever, I will not cry.
--
Gary's Student
gsnu200702

"Luc" wrote:

Gary,
Have a look he
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/DummyText.htm

--
Luc Sanders
(MVP - PowerPoint)
"Gary''s Student" schreef in
bericht ...
I am using Word to document some Excel spreadsheets. In Excel
=RAND()
is a valid formula. When I enter this my my document, Word converts it
into
gibberish.

How do I disable this feature?
--
Gary's Student
gsnu200702

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

My first attempt was also to use Ctrl+Z. For me it did also undo the
conversion but the quick brown fox always appeared again as soon as I
continued typing (I tested it on two computers with different Word versions).

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Luc" wrote:

Gary,
Have a look he
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/DummyText.htm

--
Luc Sanders
(MVP - PowerPoint)
"Gary''s Student" schreef

in
bericht ...
I am using Word to document some Excel spreadsheets. In Excel
=RAND()
is a valid formula. When I enter this my my document, Word

converts it
into
gibberish.

How do I disable this feature?
--
Gary's Student
gsnu200702

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I can type =rand() and continue typing with no problem. It's only pressing
Enter that causes the problem. And if you need a paragraph break following
=rand(), you can type something after it, go back and press Enter, then
Ctrl+Z, then start up again at the end of what you typed. I agree that this
would be a nuisance, so it's not really a satisfactory workaround.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

For me it seems to suffice to just press Ctrl+Z (Undo) after "=RAND()"

is
converted to quick brown foxes.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Gary''s Student" wrote in

message

"Lene Fredborg" wrote:

I made an experiment and found a method that seems to disable - or

maybe
rather replace - the €śfeature€ť: I created an AutoCorrect entry

(Tools
AutoCorrect options) and entered €ś=rand()€ť in both the €śReplace€ť and

€śWith€ť
fields.

However, I you want to be able to enable the €śfeature€ť again, you

may
not
want to use that method - it seems as if it is gone even if the

AutoCorrect
entry is deleted (so who knows, I may regret that I tried...).

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg
DocTools - Denmark
www.thedoctools.com
Document automation - add-ins, macros and templates for Microsoft

Word

"Luc" wrote:

Gary,
Have a look he
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/DummyText.htm

--
Luc Sanders
(MVP - PowerPoint)
"Gary''s Student"

schreef
in
bericht

I am using Word to document some Excel spreadsheets. In Excel
=RAND()
is a valid formula. When I enter this my my document, Word

converts it
into
gibberish.

How do I disable this feature?
--
Gary's Student
gsnu200702

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Lene,

This didn't work for me in Word 2003 using either the plain or formatted entries in Autocorrect. If you unchecked the Autocorrect
option to [x] Replace text as you type, that could disable the
=rand() replacement, but also the rest of the autocorrect entries as well.

==================
"Lene Fredborg" wrote in message news I made an experiment and found a method that seems to disable - or maybe
rather replace - the "feature": I created an AutoCorrect entry (Tools
AutoCorrect options) and entered "=rand()" in both the "Replace" and "With"
fields.

However, I you want to be able to enable the "feature" again, you may not
want to use that method - it seems as if it is gone even if the AutoCorrect
entry is deleted (so who knows, I may regret that I tried...).

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

As others have indicated there is no way to disable the feature.

As far as I know the dummy text is only inserted when entering a paragraph
mark (pressing Enter) and then only when the complete paragraph is "=RAND()"
optionally surrounded by white space (spaces, non-breaking spaces and tabs).
I would think it pretty unusual - even when documenting Excel functions -
for this to happen unintentionally, and on the occasions that it does, it
can be undone very easily.

As a rule, if anything unexpected happens to me in any application, pressing
Ctrl+Z is the first thing I try - 'I didn't want that, please undo it'. In
this case that would have been all that was needed; a fairly minor
inconvenience at worst, wouldn't you say?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Gary''s Student" wrote in message
I am using Word to document some Excel spreadsheets. In Excel
=RAND()
is a valid formula. When I enter this my my document, Word converts it
into
gibberish.

How do I disable this feature?
--
Gary's Student
gsnu200702

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

I may have been infected with all those quick brown foxes and lazy dogs
yesterday ;-)

Today, all was back where I started yesterday and nor could I get the
AutoCorrect to work as I experienced and described yesterday (I did not
deselect €śReplace text as you type€ť yesterday). So now I am sure I was wrong
about AutoCorrect - I am really sorry.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Aalaan Aalaan is offline

...and some of us have things that don't work on *any* days...:-(

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
We all have those days--things work that don't work the next day and vice
versa.

so
all may benefit.

"Lene Fredborg" wrote in message
I may have been infected with all those quick brown foxes and lazy dogs
yesterday ;-)

Today, all was back where I started yesterday and nor could I get the
AutoCorrect to work as I experienced and described yesterday (I did not
deselect "Replace text as you type" yesterday). So now I am sure I was

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

True.

"Aalaan" wrote in message
..and some of us have things that don't work on *any* days...:-(

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
We all have those days--things work that don't work the next day and

vice
versa.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

=rand() Kim Microsoft Word Help 13 January 27th 06 11:58 PM
Type "=rand()" in word2003 then press enter.Give me the reason. Sujit Mohanty Microsoft Word Help 2 May 6th 05 03:30 PM